HsiehLung Cuttle Fish Tank

Discussion in 'Cephalopod Journals' started by hsiehlung, Jun 15, 2008.

1. hsiehlung

hsiehlung Cuttlefish Registered

Hi there all

this finally jumped into cuttlefish after losing my first cuttlefish awhile back by a dumb coral beauty ....

a friend (collector) was able to get a female tropical cuttle fish north of perth Western australia which laid some viable eggs in his aquarium. so i decided to try some of them i was given 5 viable ones which are around 1.5week or 2 weeks old (unconfirmed laid date)
    the other eggs have yet to inflate so i dont think they are viable. anyway a big suprise after leave the egg in the tank for few hours 3 of them hatched ... i dont know if this kinda early for them ? but they around 1cm big and look well developed. the other 2 are in their eggs still.

once i find my phone cable i post some pictures of the little ones.

the aquarium is a 78x68x58 aquarium with alot of liverock and mysid running :P

i think my biggest worry atm if this a premature hatch ?

2. hsiehlung

3. esquid

esquid Haliphron Atlanticus Supporter

how big was your friend's adult?

4. hsiehlung

he said roughly 10cm
    before he released her back into the wild
    i think he said she was about half grown ? or more ...
    i dont even know which sp of cuttle it is >.

5. Octavarium

Octavarium Wonderpus Registered

Good luck with your guys. How many gallons is your tank, Im bad with figuring it out from the dimensions

6. Paradox

Paradox Haliphron Atlanticus Supporter

Im not sure about the ID since we dont have a picture of the adult, but 1cm newborns and white eggs are not traits of any commonly kept cuttlefish in the US.

If the hatchlings were born premature, you would have seen an egg yolk still attached to them.

7. hsiehlung

i think 74 gallons roughly ?

here a picture of an adult it should be the same there was a picture of the real adult but its removed off his website so i see if he still has it. i been trying to find out it is but very hard since they always talk about the gaint cuttlefish in australian waters

i did see a round ball very small but wasnt attached to them so i guess thats a good sign ? anyway we see how we go this is the first time i raising cuttle fish from eggs last time the cuttle fish was a juv. any info on my sp would be great
    thanks in advance

[​IMG]

8. Paradox

If the round ball was the yolk and is significantly smaller then the baby cuttle, they may be ok. Ive had many premature births with Sepia Bandensis. If the yolk sac is pretty small in comparison to the cuttle, they often survive fine. If the yolk was still large in comparison to the cuttle, the cuttle is still very under developed and will usually die.

9. hsiehlung

i pretty sure it is the yolk as i can see the same thing in the unhatched eggs. compared to the one where i was able to take a picture by himself its kinda small but to the other 2 it seems kinda big maybe 1/2 of their body size but i had a look again i was only able to find 2 yolks not 3 so possible that one of them is not premature or maybe it didnt see it >.>
    here some pictures of the yolks which i slowly moved next to them

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. monty

monty Colossal Squid Staff Member Supporter

:welcome: to TONMO, and good luck!

I'll be very curious how the experts ID the adult pic, it's a great looking cuttle, but I certainly can't guess without a book... maybe I'll get Norman and Nesis out later...

11. hsiehlung

just confirm with my friend it is the same type so if anyone is able to id that adult picture that would be great ^^
    he also going to send me a video once he gets back up north as he has on his other computer up there

12. hsiehlung

add some live mysid today plus some tiger pods haven't had much reaction i even place a semi dead in front of the cuttle fish but nothing. i hope they start eating...

13. cuttlegirl

cuttlegirl Colossal Squid Supporter Registered

Try larger live prey, maybe shore shrimp or tiny crabs.

14. hsiehlung

well these are kinda same size to their size these are only around 1 cm big roughly. dont think we have shore shrimps in aus but we have glass shrimps and i guess i can go hunting for small crabs on my collection trip if it stops raining !

15. Paradox

It is common for the hatchlings to not eat after being born for up to a week. However, I would still offer them food everyday.

16. hsiehlung

well i been flooding the breeder net with live foods once i get them its been a bit slow though since its raining in perth atm but tomorrow its pose to be sunny so i hopeful will have a nice calm ocean to harvest from. will have a look for small crabs on the rocks but i don't think they get as small as i would like but i have a guy who sending me some marine yabbies (fish bait used in the eastern states) so i don't need to worry about food once they get older.

on another note just wonder is possible to get late development in an egg as i just noticed one of the thought to be non viable eggs slowly inflating but i still cant see clearly inside i guess i wont be throwing out those other eggs for awhile.

17. Paradox

My experiences are all derived from S. Bandensis, but Im sure much of this carries over.

I have definetely had some eggs from the same batch develop much later then others. Eggs that I almost discarded because I was sure they were duds ended up inflating later and hatching a perfectly healthy cuttle.

Mysids have always been the best first food for Bandensis at least. You do not need to flood feed. Just place a few in the tank and see if there is interest. Often too many mysids at once may intimidate newborns.

It may be related to the size of crab vs the cuttlefish, but Bandensis will not eat crabs until after a couple months. A bandensis will attack a crab differently. Instead of using feeding tentacles, they will swim behind it and crab it with all tentacles. This is probably due to an instinctual knowledge of the crabs pincers being a possible threat.

18. hsiehlung

well i guess they be going in the food tank which i setting up to hold all the live foods.

thanks for all your info even though its a different sp i am sure most of the info will be the same or similar.

is there a website or can anyone help id my cuttle fish yet ?

19. Paradox

20. Thales

Thales Colossal Squid Staff Member Moderator

I just looked through Norman and a couple other sources and came up empty with the ID. I look forward to the video as the photo on the last page may be a 'resting' posture which makes ID even harder.

I would suggest not flood feeding. I have had much better success with newly hatch cuttles by feeding one or two food items than lots. I think lots may seem overwhelming to cuttles who have to learn how to hunt. :D