Howdy

shannen74

Blue Ring
Registered
Hello folks, thought I'd officially de-lurk since I have actually placed an order for our octo. Yayy! My husband Brian & I have been devouring all the fantastic info on this website since last november, and have finally gotten everything prepared for our new ceph.

It has been quite a journey since we have never kept saltwater tanks before, but we had a close friend who is very good at it help us out. We slaved a 40 gal. cube (for the octo) with a 55 gal. long and a 25 gal. sump so we could do a reef tank along with an octo tank. We have a protein skimmer for 150 gallons, and about 125 lbs live rock, and our system has been cycled for a couple of months now. We have been concentrating on getting the reef set up while we've been looking for ways to get our water temp down, and finally have it in acceptable range for an octo. We are super excited!

We are ordering our octo from Fishsupply, and I'm expecting it in this coming week. We'll have pics up as soon as it comes out long enough for us to photograph it.

Thanks so much for all the great info on this site, it makes me feel so much more able to handle the care of such a cool, specialized creature.

Cheers,
Shannen

Hi Shannen, welcome to TONMO.com and i hope that you enjoy keeping an octopus!!!

Colin

Shannen,

I'm really glad TONMO.com has been so useful for you.

Thanks to Colin, Nancy, and all the members who help out in the CephCare forums for making this such a great community for aquarists!

Shannen's lurker husband

Hey folks. I'm Brian, Shannen's husband. I thought I'd post a couple quick pics. I'm not sure if she has posted them anywhere else on here or not.

The first one is just a shot of how the tanks are set up.

The second one is of our new pet. It's still somewhat shy, but is eating live and dead food. Hopefully it'll get somewhat more social soon and I'll be able to get better/more shots of it.

Thanks again for all the great info.

Brian

Wow I really like the way the 2 tanks are setup. They even come to the same height!

:?: Curious to know how you 'slaved' the octo tank to the reef tank, and what fail-safe arrangement is there. :?:

Cheers, LS

Yeah, my Dad recently retired and bought a bunch of new tools. I asked him to help me build the stands for the two tanks and he seemed happy to have an interesting project.

I'm not sure what you mean by fail-safe arrangement?
I've got a wet-dry sump rated for 150gal with a skimmer rated for the same under the larger tank. Both tanks overflow into the sump. There's a maxi-jet 1200 that pumps water from the 55gal over into the 40gal cube. As well as a small powerhead in the 40gal to provide more water movement.

Brian

L S said:
Wow I really like the way the 2 tanks are setup. They even come to the same height!

:?: Curious to know how you 'slaved' the octo tank to the reef tank, and what fail-safe arrangement is there. :?:

Cheers, LS

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back