Howdy

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by shannen74, Sep 13, 2003.

1. shannen74

shannen74 Blue Ring Registered

Hello folks, thought I'd officially de-lurk since I have actually placed an order for our octo. Yayy! My husband Brian & I have been devouring all the fantastic info on this website since last november, and have finally gotten everything prepared for our new ceph.

It has been quite a journey since we have never kept saltwater tanks before, but we had a close friend who is very good at it help us out. We slaved a 40 gal. cube (for the octo) with a 55 gal. long and a 25 gal. sump so we could do a reef tank along with an octo tank. We have a protein skimmer for 150 gallons, and about 125 lbs live rock, and our system has been cycled for a couple of months now. We have been concentrating on getting the reef set up while we've been looking for ways to get our water temp down, and finally have it in acceptable range for an octo. We are super excited!

We are ordering our octo from Fishsupply, and I'm expecting it in this coming week. We'll have pics up as soon as it comes out long enough for us to photograph it.

Thanks so much for all the great info on this site, it makes me feel so much more able to handle the care of such a cool, specialized creature.

Cheers,
    Shannen

2. Colin

Colin Colossal Squid Supporter

Hi Shannen, welcome to TONMO.com and i hope that you enjoy keeping an octopus!!!

Colin

3. tonmo

tonmo Titanites Staff Member Webmaster Moderator

Shannen,

I'm really glad TONMO.com has been so useful for you.

Thanks to Colin, Nancy, and all the members who help out in the CephCare forums for making this such a great community for aquarists!

4. corw314

corw314 Colossal Squid Staff Member Moderator

:welcome:

You're hooked!!! I got hooked about 15 years ago!!!

Carol

5. joel_ang

joel_ang Architeuthis Registered

:welcome: to TONMO.com

Do keep us posted :D

6. Melissa

Melissa Larger Pacific Striped Octopus Supporter

Welcome, Shannen!

Your tank is up, when does your octopus arrive? Tony set up a tank database

http://www.tonmo.com/octo/octo_main.php

which I especially like because I don't have a tank. We all want to see pictures if you can post them!

Melissa

7. incysor

incysor Cuttlefish Registered

Shannen's lurker husband

Hey folks. I'm Brian, Shannen's husband. I thought I'd post a couple quick pics. I'm not sure if she has posted them anywhere else on here or not.

The first one is just a shot of how the tanks are set up.

The second one is of our new pet. It's still somewhat shy, but is eating live and dead food. Hopefully it'll get somewhat more social soon and I'll be able to get better/more shots of it.

Thanks again for all the great info.

Brian

8. L S

L S Blue Ring Registered

Wow I really like the way the 2 tanks are setup. They even come to the same height!

:?: Curious to know how you 'slaved' the octo tank to the reef tank, and what fail-safe arrangement is there. :?:

Cheers, LS

9. incysor

incysor Cuttlefish Registered

Yeah, my Dad recently retired and bought a bunch of new tools. I asked him to help me build the stands for the two tanks and he seemed happy to have an interesting project.

I'm not sure what you mean by fail-safe arrangement?
    I've got a wet-dry sump rated for 150gal with a skimmer rated for the same under the larger tank. Both tanks overflow into the sump. There's a maxi-jet 1200 that pumps water from the 55gal over into the 40gal cube. As well as a small powerhead in the 40gal to provide more water movement.

Brian