• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

How to setup a 30g tank for a Cuttlefish

Owais

Cuttlefish
Registered
Hello guys, I want to setup a 30g-50g tank and this is my first time so im not exactly sure how to start off. I have read all the articles on this site but im still not sure exactly what to put in my tank.

Ok so its a 30g-50g tank, I know for sure im going to need a skimmer & a filter, but I dont get the whole filter thing. It says there are biological, chemical, and mechanical filters :hmm: ?? Do I need just one filter? and what else am I going to need ? I know that I need live rock and sand which I can collect from the beach, but what else do I need to put in my tank? and what is a Sump exactly ? and am I going to need one ? can I buy one of my LFS ?

Sorry for all the questions but this is my first time setting up a saltwater aquarium and any help would be greatly apreciated.

Thanks, Owais

NEVER use sand from the beach. there are soooooo many polutants in that crap. just buy dry sand from an LFS and seed it with one bad of live sand.

First thing to do would be to get a bigger tank. A 30g is going to be a tough one for a cuttlefish. They tend to bang into the glass walls, and basically rupture their bodies when the large cuttlebone splits the skin.

Thanks for the replys. How about a 75g tank ? is it big enough ? I would get a 125g tank if I knew I could keep them alive till they are big enough but im not sure if I can keep them alive so I dont want to start off with a huge tank.

Owais;124311 said:
Thanks for the replys. How about a 75g tank ? is it big enough ? I would get a 125g tank if I knew I could keep them alive till they are big enough but im not sure if I can keep them alive so I dont want to start off with a huge tank.

I think you need to figure out what kind of cuttlefish that you are finding. It is most likely Sepia officinalis or some other kind of large cuttlefish. I would recommend a 125 gallon tank (or larger). It is actually easier to maintain a larger tank than a small one.

Reading on tank set up, and not finding the answer i'm looking for. Is 29 G biocube , too small for an octopus, if not what species would be appropriate and does my canapy have to be closed. I like to open the canopy for a better air exchange , will the octopus escape onto the floor. or in the back section of the biocube. Thanks

:welcome: Basile and enjoy TONMO! You will actually find the answers readily in our forum. The easy answer is yes to both, although sometimes kept in a smaller tank, even dwarf species (mostly nocturnal) would IMO be a bit confined in 29 gallons (these animals need to roam a bit; if anyone begs to differ, please enlighten me: earlier discussion) and your octopus will leave its cube and die, if it's left open.

It is also a good idea to open a dedicated new thread to your questions, as to keep confusion on topic at a minimum :wink:

I got a 80g tank today :smile: I hope its big enough. Btw I dont have space for a 125g tank =/ but how many inches can they be to fit well into a 80g tank? like 6'' ?

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back