• TONMOCON VII Announced | MBL at Woods Hole | Apr 6-8, 2018
  • Thanks for visiting! TONMO is the world's greatest online cephalopod enthusiast community, with interactive content going back to May of 2000, and a biennial conference. If you'd like to join in on the fun, become a TONMO member -- it's easy and free. You can follow us on Facebook and Twitter for more cephy goodness.

How to measure a live octopus

Nancy

Titanites
Staff member
We were discussing this over on Ceph Care - Jean thought you might know the answer, Steve....(or Kat)

Is the only accurate way to measure a live octopus by the distance between the eyes? If this is so, how do you take this measurement?

I can measure Ollie and get a different answer for arm length and mantle each time I try!

Thanks,

Nancy

Steve O'Shea

TONMO Supporter
Supporter
Hi Nancy. Probably the only reliable way to do it would be to measure the volume of water little Ollie displaced at any point in time; how to relate that back to 'body mass/weight' I don't know. They are such contortionists that none of arm length, mantle length or inter-ocular distance will give the same measurement twice.
Cheers
O

tonmo

Titanites
Staff member
Webmaster

Nancy

Titanites
Staff member
I don't think little Ollie would appreciate being measured by displacing water, so I'll just have to guess how big he is.

I had forgotten about the chart at the end of your excellent article - It seems that Ollie must be a moderate sized octopus now, and that will have to do :)

Nancy

Members online