• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

How to know when a cuttlefish baby is actually dead??

Ok so I have these cuttlefish babies and they arent moving around much at all. How do you know if they are dead or if they are just chillin?

I think one or two may be dead but I thought they all were for a min there and dont want to make a mistake.

So how can you tell if they are dead or just being still because I cant really tell if they are breathing.

They'll float, or their cuttlebone will come out. I know this is a hard time since it's your first time with baby cuttlefish, but be patient. It is hard at first to even see them eat, but if you are seeing hunting behavior, your little ones will figure it out eventually.

They are probably fine, they don't move too much right after they are born (except for that one...). Think about being in an egg for several weeks, they are still getting accustomed to their new environment and to the fact that they can swim...

Yea Sk, i had another one hatch last night, so i have 4 now and they are all doing great from what i can tell. I still have not witnessed any behavior of eating or hunting but they change colors, walk around, and "try to swim/jet around". Mine only get white when the lights get off or you spook them. For the most part they stay a copper color, and just lay on the bottom of the nursery under the algae. But i have had them hatched since Thursday, for Sk longer. Shouldnt they be about ready to eat? That is what im worried about the most.

sk252006;170155 said:
Oh God I hope so. This is way more nerve racking and far more stressful than keeping octopuses, at least as far as I am concerned. At least (normally) with octopus you only have ONE to worry about.

Not really a vaild comparison! If you had octopus hatchlings you would have somewhere between 50 and 10,000 to worry about :shock: and would not expect any survivors.

sk252006;170148 said:
Poke em?? Seriously?

Ok so, If they are attached at the bottom even if they arent changing colors it should be ok?

iF you are that worried sure.

They don't move much remember this is the smallest they will ever be. They are going to do 2 things and 2 things only. Hide and hunt. This is why you can keep a large group of babies together and they won't fight. They are only concerned with hiding and hunting.

They usually stay the colour that hides them best.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back