• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

How to keep mysis shrimp for dwarf cuttles

ieatfalalfel

Wonderpus
Registered
When the times comes that I have cuttle eggs and they are about to hatch, I will order live mysis. How many do I need?, I will have 2 cuttles. Can I keep my shrimp in the tank, my cuttles will be in a net breeder.

You should be able to keep 250 mysids in a separate 10g tank. Might go bigger if you get 500. Your 2 will eat the 500. You'll have to feed them daily (the mysids) and change some water occasionally. Ground flake or shrimp pellet will work fine.
I would not spare any foods for the cuttlefish. The sooner they get bigger, the sooner they may take PE mysis or frozen or dried krill.
To train them on dead food, you may have to huff on it with a turkey baster to get it to move which will entice the cuttles to eat it.

snowmaker;162754 said:
You should be able to keep 250 mysids in a separate 10g tank. Might go bigger if you get 500. Your 2 will eat the 500. You'll have to feed them daily (the mysids) and change some water occasionally. Ground flake or shrimp pellet will work fine.
I would not spare any foods for the cuttlefish. The sooner they get bigger, the sooner they may take PE mysis or frozen or dried krill.
To train them on dead food, you may have to huff on it with a turkey baster to get it to move which will entice the cuttles to eat it.
If i understand this correctly they will eat the 250/500 mysids in the month as smaller babies before being offered larger shrimp and eventually crabs? You have to feed the mysids daily? Along with the Cuttles correct? How many times a day for the cuttles and how many shrimp can they eat in a setting? 3-4 times a day? And 2-3 mysids?

When I keep mysis a lot of the try to jump out, they then stick to the side, dry out and die.

So now I fill the container with mysis to about 2 cm below the top and place a tightfitting cover on top.
And since the species I keep are temperate they are placed outside.

zeekat;166930 said:
When I keep mysis a lot of the try to jump out, they then stick to the side, dry out and die.

So now I fill the container with mysis to about 2 cm below the top and place a tightfitting cover on top.
And since the species I keep are temperate they are placed outside.

What does this mean exactly?

Well for some reason the mysis I keep jump out of the water, so the tank they are in (90 l) is covered.

There is only a gap of 2 cm between the water surface and the cover. This enables the mysis to wiggle themselves back into the water. If the distance between water surface and cover is about 10 cm they don' t make it back down to the water and die.

The species I keep need cold water so instead of using a chiller the tank with mysis is placed outside.

I hope this makes more sense.

ZeeKat,
If you would edit your profile and show your location (you have to fill this in and explicity say you want it to show) it will help a bit for those of us used to having much warmer temperatures :wink:

HAve you had any luck with this place? Or should i say the guy you gave them to? I dont see bulk Mysids on the website unless you just have to take the $0.50 and multiply it by how ever many you want?

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back