• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

How to feed wild Bimaculoides?

abdopus147

Blue Ring
Registered
With some luck, I chanced upon a wild bimaculoides. I soon prepared the tank with ocean water (for the same water quality), and release the bimac. After the first day I try to feed it with krill on my plastic rod, a useful tactic to feed octopuses, but the octopus pushes it away. Though the tank was filled with possible octopus dinners, crabs and shrimp, I grew worried. I began to ask myself questions like, is't feeding the main way to develop a relationship with your octopus, why isn't he eating from me and is he even eating?The main thing I am wondering is how do I train the octopus to feed from me and not hunt like in the wild?

Sometimes it takes awhile for them to learn to take dead food as well as take food from a human. Although others have, I have not had much luck with krill. Try substituting the krill for a piece of table shrimp about the size of his eye.

Interacting with your octopus does not require that he eat dead food so if this is your main reason for wanting to feed it from a stick, there are other ways to interact. However, most of us don't have access to live food and getting them to eat dead food some of the time is a good idea. The best way I have found to get them interested in dead to touch the food to their suckers so they can taste it.

Interacting may or may not be food associated and I tend to work with mine without a food incentive (in fact, my husband does most of the feeding). My basic approach is as follows:

Give your octopus 2 weeks to acclimate to your tank and be sure he sees you daily but don't attempt to touch him other than with the feeding stick. After two weeks you should see him out more frequently.

Pick a place in at the front of the tank that is convenient and put your fingers in the tank. Do not chase the octopus, allow him to come and investigate. Sometimes this will happen the first time you try, sometimes it will take several weeks. Do not jerk your hand away when he touches. If he latches on tightly or trys to bring your fingers to his beak, gently manipulate your fingers to stroke the top of the arms that are being aggressive, this will usually get him to release you. Note that they can and occassionaly do bite so it is important to keep your fingers away from the beak area. Over time the animal will know your hand and may come for petting.

I am a bit worried about your tank description though. An octopus should never be place in a new tank. The tank should contain many places to completely hide and should be cycled for a minimum of 3 months otherwise the water will quickly contain ammonia and poison the animal. The aquarium also needs to be chilled so that it never exceeds 72 degrees (lower is better and between 65 and 69 closer to ideal)

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back