• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

How to clean white sand

Substrate cleaning is an interesting topic and I hope we get a few responses. I have one tank with fine sand (an accidental purchase when I performed my once every two year - or so - bottom substrate removal) and many people prefer it but it does disrupt more easily than something with larger gain. In the one tank I have, it appears that debris stays on top rather than settling in so I am leaving it for now to see if it helps reduce nitrate build up (the reason I replace it at over time).

Since I only have the one tank I can't vouch for my method but this is what I do. During my weekly tank cleaning, I gently siphon the top layer to remove visible debris and then disrupt it along the glass sides (and any place I see discoloration) with my hand, keeping the siphon close to my disruption point. It does not take too long to settle back down but it does cloud the tank.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back