• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

How to clean food grade containers?

In light of my recent ammonia problem I have become very aware of my lacks water treatments and care so I have stepped it up a bit and bought some food grade containers to transport water from the beach. These containers are only open through a 2 to 3 inch hole to pure liquid in and out and close with a special knob which you use a special wrench. That way there is no way of contamination.

Now I need some help and advice on how to clean them. They used to have dr pepper mix in them and I need to clean them well. What can I use to clean them out because I cant get my hand in there to wipe the walls.

Ideas?

OK well as another hobby I brew my own beer. Am important part of brewing is sterlizing the containers and equipment. To do so you need something strong enoug to clean buty it has to be able to rinse away completely and leaves no residue as many cleaners do....Soooo we use a special product called C-Brite cleanser. it comes in powder form in single seving packets that make 2.5 gallons of cleaning solution. I have used it to clean my sump and equipment a few times and it works great, although the aquarium was not it intended use.

http://www.makeyourownathome.com/index.php/product-details/c-brite-cleanser-0.8oz

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...f2ce025&itemid=360224240918&ff4=263602_263622

Hopefully there will be a sampling at the next TONMOCON!

I bought some to try on my glass top tables. If it doesn't streak, it may be good for cleaning the outside of the tanks too but if it does, I have other things to experiment with :wink:

Hmm, I'm not sure how it will work as a glass cleaner, i typically mix it up with water then let equipment soak in it then you rinse with fresh water then your done. For the food containers just fill them up 1/4 - 1/2 way with the cleaner then shake and slosh it around then pour it out and rinse with water, scrub any tough spots but you shouldn't have too. one ingredient in beer is Malt in syrup form which is just like molasses and it cleans that effortlessly.

C-brite contains - Sodium Dichloro-s-triazinetrione dihydrate, sodium sulfate, sodium tripolyphosphate.....Basically powdered bleach, Glauber's salt, and water softner

I ordered some from ebay last night so it should be here later this week or the start of next week. Then I will be able to go get water from the beach. I am so bumed about the water situation. I called the LFS today to ask them to test the water they sell... it was FULL of ammoina... Why isnt the RO/DI filter taking it out? Its a brand new unit maybe i've made 150 gallons with it. Shouldnt the filter be strong enough to rid the water of ammonia? I dont understand how this could happen.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back