• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

How to buy an octopus and keep it happy and healthy. Tell me everything !!!

Hello,
I am a Biology teacher who is looking to set up a tank with one specimen octopus. Can you share with me the species you have kept?

Their life expectancy,

nitrate amonia toleration,

toys they like,

anemone, coral or other environmental factors they enjoy.

What not to do or what to look out for.

Preferable equipment that works better with them.

Acclimation tips and times.

preferred food

preferred treats

Can they live with fish? If so will they eat them?

I will be setting up the aquarium (about 90 gallon) next month, and I expect to add the octopus in early September or late August.

:notworth:

Thank you so much for all the help. I want to make sure I know a ton about the little guy before I add him or her!

:welcome: to TONMO!

For starters, I recommend you start with the ceph care articles under the ARTICLES tab at the top of the page, and then ask further questions...

Thanks,
I just finished reading that. It covered the basics but I would like to hear from people who can share their experiences as well.

It sounds like the species Octopus bimaculoides is a managable size but has a longer life. Does anyone know how long it lives? Or how long yours have lived? Pics?

Faaborg -- welcome to the site. Glad you read through all our articles -- now you can move on to the forums! :mrgreen:

Seriously -- folks here are happy to answer your questions, but do make sure you peruse what we offer -- there are TONS of pics in our forums -- just do a search, or browse away!

Sometimes initial navigation is intimidating. Click FORUMS at the top of the page then select Journals and Photos, there should be enough of what you are interested in there to keep you reading for a month or two ;>)

Quick overview I can tell you from experience and info from others....
RO/DI water only....keep nitrites,ammonia,nitrates as close to 0 as possible. Absolutley no trace amounts of copper...it kills! Have a good and overrated protein skimmer, especially if they ink as it can pllute the tank. 2 years expectancy for most ocots that will be kept, eats crustaceans like fiddler crabs, hermits, snails...and also prefers meatytreats like fresh scallops or shimp offered on a feeding stick. Best to be kept in tank alone...starfish are only tankmate that probably wont be bothered. Octoproof the lid...they can escape through the smallests crack. Most of all research, research, research.

Hope this overview helps a little.

ahem....Jeans hobby horse .....keep freshwater foods to a minimum (eg freshwater shrimp) the protein and fats are not suitable for a long-term diet......only Marine is! FW are OK as treats (again marine is better but Octis do seem to enjoy the FW stuff, bit like candy I guess!!!)

j

I am afraid Octavarium is overly octomistic, uhhh optimistic, about age. It has been rare for anyone to keep an octo for 1 year, 18 months especially rare.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back