How often to feed mysis

Discussion in 'Cuttlefish Care' started by Krakilin, Aug 22, 2009.

1. Krakilin

Krakilin O. bimaculoides Registered

I bought 100 from aquaculturestore and the next morning there were about 15 left in the net breeder!!!!! And mysid parts floating everywhere.

How many times a day should I feed them? I'm thinking 4+?

2. corpusse

corpusse Vampyroteuthis Registered

How many cuttlefish are you feeding?

When mine were first born it was just one a day. They wouldn't eat another. Then 2, then 3 once they need 4-5 to fill them up it's time to move on to shore shrimp.

3. Krakilin

Sorry I should have clarified. I meant how many times to feed the mysid shrimp themselves! :p

I'm feeding 6 tank raised babies. I haven't even seen them eat. I think I saw one strike but they're so small its hard to see.

I really don't want to spend $20 every couple days!! I'm having lots of luck feeding mini frozen mysis though :D It may have to do with them being tank raised. I got them from someone doing an LA fish run here in Cali. It cost me $50 for 6 babies. Not bad at all! :D

4. corpusse

feed them as many times as you can! they eat like theres no tomorrow and for many of them this is true. They quickly turn on each other if they can't wait to be eaten by the cuttlefish.

You can hatch bbs and add them once or twice a day and they can hunt them throughout. If you are feeding other foods such as cyclopeeze I'd suggest at least twice but really more is fine. They are pretty tough and are uneffected by minor to moderate water quality issues. I'd worry about them starving and eating each other before you worry about polluting their water with too much food.

5. Krakilin

interesting. thanks! Maybe instead of having them in a net breeder ill keep them in a bucket indoors..

6. cuttlegirl

cuttlegirl Colossal Squid Supporter Registered

Give them as much space as you can, I kept mine in a cooler filled with about 3 inches of water.

7. corpusse

at least a 10g would be best to keep them in. The bigger the better.