• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

How often do cuttle eggs not hatch?

asid61

GPO
Registered
Hi
I'm new to cephs and was just wondering how often do Bandensis eggs not hatch? I want to order 3 eggs from NY aquatics and hatch them.
Thanks!

It depends. Somtimes there are dud eggs, so ask if the eggs you are ordering are 'inflated' and partially transparent, and if they can see the cuttle inside.

It really depends on the clutch. I have seen entire clutches from the wild not hatch, partial clutches not hatch and full clutches fully hatch.

NY aquatics will check the eggs to make sure the eggs contains a cuttlefish before shipping it to you. Sometime Michael will add one or two extras if he know you are really interested. You should call the store and talk to him and make sure of the ship date to make sure you are home the day they arrive. Good luck.

I had 10 out of 12 eggs hatch from him but I kept them in a 10 gal tank to start. all looked good and 2 week later they all died in within 4 days. I called up a few experts from Newport Aquarium and they told me they had the same issue. They kept them in 6 different tanks, checked the water daily and they all died. They feel it is a food issue and we have been trying different types of food but from what I here from this site is that mysin shrimp are what to use. The confusing part is that the shrimp are as big as the baby cuttlefish and they aren't big enough to eat them till they are a few weeks old. Plus keeping them in a breeder net on the main tank is better than keeping them in a 10 gal to start with, less water problems like high nitrate levels.

I am trying again and have 5 left out of 7, just lost 2 the other day. But I am going to try to feed them mysin to see if they will eat them.

Mike Bauer

Mike Bauer;174680 said:
NY aquatics will check the eggs to make sure the eggs contains a cuttlefish before shipping it to you. Sometime Michael will add one or two extras if he know you are really interested. You should call the store and talk to him and make sure of the ship date to make sure you are home the day they arrive. Good luck.

I had 10 out of 12 eggs hatch from him but I kept them in a 10 gal tank to start. all looked good and 2 week later they all died in within 4 days. I called up a few experts from Newport Aquarium and they told me they had the same issue. They kept them in 6 different tanks, checked the water daily and they all died. They feel it is a food issue and we have been trying different types of food but from what I here from this site is that mysin shrimp are what to use. The confusing part is that the shrimp are as big as the baby cuttlefish and they aren't big enough to eat them till they are a few weeks old. Plus keeping them in a breeder net on the main tank is better than keeping them in a 10 gal to start with, less water problems like high nitrate levels.

I am trying again and have 5 left out of 7, just lost 2 the other day. But I am going to try to feed them mysin to see if they will eat them.

Mike Bauer

Did you have any luck raising the young cuttles? I had a few eggs that did not hatch out and I am trying to decide if its worth giving it another shot.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back