How much will it eat a day

Discussion in 'Octopus Care' started by squall7733, Oct 20, 2005.

1. squall7733

squall7733 O. vulgaris Registered

Just curious. Assuming I will have a mature Bimac. Feeding him hermits, maybe some snails but mainly shrimp. How much of this will he eat a day?

2. corw314

corw314 Colossal Squid Staff Member Moderator

Gimpy was eating a 2" crab a day. Now my others used to eat a large 3-4" crab every other day. Gimpy is now off her feed as she apparently is making a den and I wouldn't be surprised if there aren't fertile eggs as she was wild caught.

3. squall7733

Wow, I really have no idea where to buy a 2-3" live crabs in my area.... Any suggestions?

I live in Saginaw Michigan

4. lockburn

lockburn O. bimaculoides Registered

I buy fiddlers from Sach's

http://www.aquaculturestore.com/swinverts.html

10 for $13 shipped. Its incredibly easy to get em and store them, and my octo loves them. My octo also grew considerably once I started feeding him these.

5. squall7733

Thank you!

When I store these crabs in a feeding fish holding tank. Is there anything I should know about?

I know from breeding clownfish, that what the food eats also affects what your feeding it to. Is there any type of enviroment I should set up for fiddler crabs to keep them healthy and plump, what should I feed the food lol. And waht size of tank do I need, can I pretty much stack these guys ontop of eachother without them killing eachother?