• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

How much mysis do I need for 1 cuttlefish?

I just bought my first cuttlefish. He's in my reef display inside of a critter keeper type container. I caught some mysis from the refugium of my LFS. I probably have 30-50. I'm sure this will not be enough to raise him so I was planning on ordering more. How many should I order? Should I order them all at once? What is the best way to keep them alive so I can feed them as needed. Thanks
Steve

What size is your cuttle? I generally feed until they begin to lose interest (don't attack with lightning speed ferocity). I would definitely order more mysis (100-200 maybe???), but to make it easier and cheaper on yourself, start weaning the cuttle onto frozen foods. Get it used to eating live mysis, then freeze some of those mysis and try feeding it to the cuttle (wiggle it around to make it looks like it's alive). Eventually, you should be able to feed the cuttle on frozen stuff which you can buy at the local pet store. Order them now to make sure you have a good supply. you don't want to run out of food for your cuttle. Mysis will eat eachother, so put them in a bucket/tank with macro algae or some kind of material they can hide from each other in, this will slow down the cannibalism.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back