• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

How much live rock for a 55gal?

Alizerin

Cuttlefish
Registered
How much live rock do I need to have? While I know I'll need to make nice little hiding places, How much of it needs to be "live". Besides live rock, what do you guys have in there.

I'm on a budget so I'd like to make it a nice home. But it doesn't have to look like octopus disneyland in there. At least not at first. I'll worry about aesthetics later. This came up after my cousin informed me it cost quite a bit for the rock (he had a 90gal). Something like $400.00 :shock:

Also, (If I can get my hands on a nice yet pretty cheap tank now) is it uncommon to find people selling everything but the tank at good prices? Or should I just wait for a great deal for a whole set-up?

My thinking is I can find a local tank and perhaps get everything else for good prices on ebay etc...
Thanks!

craigslist, craigslist, craigslist, craigslist!!!! I wold spend about 2 weeks just checking on what's available, then purchasing, ESPECIALLY the live rock, LFS's usually sell it for ~$6 a pound, do some bartering on craigslist and get it for no more than $3 a pound, trust me it is possible. you will need about 75-80 pounds for a 55 gallon

I know, I know!

This is on Craiglist 20 miles away from me:

$400.00 Beautiful Brand new 72 gallon bow front aquarium, with glass hood(cover), light and EXTRAS!

Includes (all new condition, never used):

-Tank
-Glass Cover
-Light
-Under gravel Filter
-Two powerheads for the undergravel filter
-Protein Skimmer
-Carbon water filter (hangs on the back of tank)
-Box of synthetic sea salt (enough for 150 gallons)
-Complete saltwater test kit (pH, Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate Tests)
-Hydrometer
-Thermometers (suction cup, and sticker type)
-Heater (only item used, but in excellent working condition)

Problem is coming up with $400.00 like NOW. I don't suppose he'll still have this when I get my "economic stimulus check"
Of couse the last two digits of my S.S. is in the 80's :yelling: Everytime I see this ad it's like chinese water torture!!

Hello Redoc,

I have no experience with tank keeping. The three month wait is something I'm only happy to adhere to. Being inexperienced, I want to make sure I'm competent in keeping happy live rock. Having thought about this for sometime before finding Tonmo and other sites, I haven't been detered by anything I've learned so far.

Do you suggest I get a smaller tank and start collecting live rock?

No, I suggest you get the largest tank you can afford. A larger capacity of water means changes happen more slowly and it gives you more time to fix the problem ( if there are any ). A common problem is starting with too small a tank where things can change very quickly. If you start a tank with some good live rock it can be interesting to let it grow and see what kind of hitch hikers you get. You don't have to buy all your live rock at once hold out for some nice pieces.

I was afraid I'd be told to start with a smaller tank, which would be just something else I'd have to buy. Yes, live rocks sound like fun, like a box of chocolate's... You'll never know what you'll get!

As far as live rock goes I am cheap and this has worked out fine for me,( I have been keeping aquariums for about 20 years ), I buy a few nice pieces of live rock and mix it with some base rock and even some live rock rubble after some time it all becomes live rock. I have never used the suggested amount of live rock but thats just me you have to do whats best for you.

Just a little aside. If you do add live rock after your tank is cycled, consider keeping the new rock for a couple of weeks in a separate bin with lighting and circulation (plastic tub is fine but saltwater circulation is necessary, lighting is minimal and depends on what is on the rock). You may have a slight cycle associated with die off (depending on the rock and what it contains) and a newly established tank may spike. If you don't have sensitive critters yet, then just adding it to your main tank should not be a problem but still monitor and watch for new, excessive brown algae growth (a sign that there may be dead sponge in the new rock that needs removal).

Have you looked for a local marine aquarium society in your area? You might be able to get a good deal on everything you need piece by piece so it won't be one great expense.

Alizerin;116816 said:
I know, I know!

This is on Craiglist 20 miles away from me:

$400.00 Beautiful Brand new 72 gallon bow front aquarium, with glass hood(cover), light and EXTRAS!

Includes (all new condition, never used):

-Tank
-Glass Cover
-Light
-Under gravel Filter
-Two powerheads for the undergravel filter
-Protein Skimmer
-Carbon water filter (hangs on the back of tank)
-Box of synthetic sea salt (enough for 150 gallons)
-Complete saltwater test kit (pH, Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate Tests)
-Hydrometer
-Thermometers (suction cup, and sticker type)
-Heater (only item used, but in excellent working condition)

Problem is coming up with $400.00 like NOW. I don't suppose he'll still have this when I get my "economic stimulus check"
Of couse the last two digits of my S.S. is in the 80's :yelling: Everytime I see this ad it's like chinese water torture!!

Ok, I have a bit of experience here on this one...
First, craigslist is great but be carefull that you know what to get. I live fairly close to you and have traveled as much as an hour to get stuff. Second place is SWF.com under classifieds--just be patient. Lastly, also check ebay. You will only see local pickups for them for the obvious reasons but that would be the case for either of the other two as well.

Some points of referance for you.. My recent tanks I got were a 50 gallon hex with stand and light for $150, a 55 gallon with stand and light also for $150, 60lbs live rock for 2.50 a lb and my favorite.. A 75 gallon bowfront, stand, canopy hood, overflow system-- $125.

It takes patience but I will probably never buy new again after seeing what is possible.
just my 2 cents-- hope this helps and GL

My "new" 50 gallon acrylic (see Octane's Journal for pics or the cephs on ebay thread in Marketplace) was from an automatic, on-going search place on eBay with a limit of 200 mile travel range). The automatic search emails you when something fits your criteria. Criteria can be multiple things like price and location as well as description.

Tank, stand and hood - New over $700, eBay $101. This tank will take a lot of DIY modification to convert it to saltwater but I am delighted with it already.

dwhatley;117606 said:
My "new" 50 gallon acrylic (see Octane's Journal for pics or the cephs on ebay thread in Marketplace) was from an automatic, on-going search place on eBay with a limit of 200 mile travel range). The automatic search emails you when something fits your criteria. Criteria can be multiple things like price and location as well as description.

Tank, stand and hood - New over $700, eBay $101. This tank will take a lot of DIY modification to convert it to saltwater but I am delighted with it already.

Heck, I'm delighted with your tank as well.. LOL, I cant wait to see it in action!!

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back