• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

how much light do octo's need?

scorpaena notata, Beautiful lil guys!
This is the small bit I know about them...

also called the "Small Red Scorpionfish" or the "Small Rockfish" really original on the common names huh?

They get up around 10"-11" and are supposed to be quite tasty :wink:
They are considered a good food source in thier native locales.

The venom is not supposed to be terribly strong, very painful, but few systemic effects from what I've read. It's also breaks down rapidly in heat- ie. if you get stung, immerse it in as hot of water as you can stand and it should help neutralize the venom quicker.

Congrats on the new guy!
I know how hard it is to look at an ready and empty tank waiting on an Octo. Mine sat empty for like 4 months waiting to get "octopied". If I didn't have 8 or 10 other tanks, I doubt I could have waited!

-V

So I got a call on Monday from the LFS,
"Come on down, we got your octo in"
They forgot I went with something else

Well I'm on the schedule for that night so, in I go.

The Bi-mac is roughly 12" across the tenticles, some of the tenticles are missing, and it looks very miss colored.
(exactly what I didn't want)

so, again I'm happy with going with the scorpion,
I added a banded eel as well
and I'm lining up some sort of lionfish as well.

Side note:
it's funny watching the cat watch a fish that could easily kill it

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back