• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

How much is enough?

aristocat

Cuttlefish
Registered
Hi everyone! I havent posted much lately, but wanted to know what a good investment in a cuttlefish tank would be? i have about a thousand dollars i can spend on it, is this enough?
:smile:

I think that would be close. There are some good threads here about equipment you should read up on, The skimmer is the most important part so dont skimp there.

It really depends on where you live. My experience has been buying everything second-hand and having impressive results.

My 120 gallon tank: $130
Stand custom built: $50
Used G1 Skimmer w sedra 2500 pump: $120
Live sand: 200 LB for $60 at a gardening store
Live rock: bought over a long period of time. got most of it for $1/pound.
Sump: $60
two koralia 4s: $80
150W HQI DE metal halide setup: $100
175W SE metal halide setup: $100

then all the misc stuff that maybe adds up to $100-200

total estimate: $900-1000

It all depends on how new you want your equipment to be. For many people keeping a saltwater tank is a status thing. Sure it's nice to show off your hard work to people, but I get most of the gratification out of spending intimate time with the tank scrubbing and doing maintenance. That's when you know you're in it for the long haul.

One thing I have learned is that it is better to buy the tank new. I found some major dings that I didn't notice when I bought it. So you might want to buy that new or at least inspect a uesd one for awhile at every angle. Not to mention you'll know 100% that copper wasn't used in it.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back