How much epoxy?

Discussion in 'Octopus Care' started by tywtly, Jun 28, 2007.

1. tywtly

tywtly GPO Registered

Ok, I'm orderinmg my live sand this weekend to set up my tank (FINALLY!!!). I've already got my live rock (50-60 lbs)....well, dead rock I guess...I made a thread a while back about that, if anyone remembers. Anyway, on to my question. I know I'm supposed to epoxy my rock together with aquarium safe epoxy. So, my question is...how many 4 oz. epoxy sticks will I need for this amount of LR?

2. Thales

Thales Colossal Squid Staff Member Moderator

You don't have to epoxy your rock together. Some people do it, so don't. I rarely do it.

That said, if you choose to epoxy it together you will need as much as you will need as all situations are different. Also remember that epoxy isn't adhesive, so you won't be gluing the rock together, but more making a mechanical bond.

3. tywtly

tywtly GPO Registered

Yeah, I've noticed a lot of people don't do it, I just like to err on the side of caution when it comes to my tanks. I don't mean to sound greedy (I think that's about the right word), but does anyone have an estimate as to how many sticks I'll need? Cause I have absolutely zero experience with epoxy.

4. delosa

delosa O. vulgaris Registered

I would start with about 6 or 8 tubes and then you will get an idea of how far a tube will go. Chances are, you will have enough to finish the job. It is always good to have a tube on hand for any rocks that may come loose. I probably have gone through 15 - 20 tubes for my 150 lbs of live rock. Not all of my rocks are stuck together, but most of them are in place. Also, I have changed the rocks around because I haven't been happy with where some rocks were setting.

Hope this helps.

5. Animal Mother

Animal Mother Architeuthis Supporter

You can use Gorilla Glue. It goes a long ways, and works great. But be careful, it can be awful messy.

6. tywtly

tywtly GPO Registered

I didn't know Gorilla Glue was tank safe. Are you sure it is?

7. tywtly

tywtly GPO Registered

Oh! And could I use non-toxic aquarium silicone that you buy at Wal-mart? Cause that epoxy is expensive, and there's no way I could afford 6-8 tubes.

8. delosa

delosa O. vulgaris Registered

I knew some glues were safe if you let them dry well before putting the rocks in the tank. I guess it would work with dead rock, but I didn't want to leave my live rock out of the water that long.

9. tywtly

tywtly GPO Registered

Well I had to drain my tank and store my rock...dry...uuuuhhhh...So now all I've got is dead rock. So the glue would work perfect for me. Oh! On that note, does anyone know how I can reseed my rock when I set it up?

10. Opcn

Opcn GPO Supporter

Gorilla Glue is a polyurethane adhesive and as such water causes it to cure, Gorilla glue claims that there product is water proof aswell. Also the manufacturer reports that ti contains no addatives or solvents.

11. Animal Mother

It's safe. I used it on some base rock in a tank with my puffer and eel. It's been in there for about 6 months. No issues.

12. tywtly

tywtly GPO Registered

Ok, well, there's my solution. Thanks.

13. Paradox

Paradox Haliphron Atlanticus Supporter

ive been researching glues and epoxies for rockwork as well.. How long is the cure time for gorrilla glue? Do you know of any possible long term effects or leaching?

Some recommendations Ive read about are

http://www.aquariumspecialty.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=1089

http://polymericsystems.com/aquamend.htm can get at home depot

and supposedly Ace Hardware has an Ace brand epoxy that cures in 5 minutes.

People also drill holes and place acrylic rods in the rocks to hold them.

Im looking for a glue or epoxy that is reef safe and cures relatively quickly for I dont want some of the rocks out of the water too long. Also, Ive used some of the 2 part epoxies purchased from LFSs and they dont really 'glue' things together, but are good to use to form perfect molds to have rocks rest on each other well.

Anyone have any other suggestions?

14. shipposhack

shipposhack Haliphron Atlanticus Registered

You can use Zap Gel. I use it to put some of my corals onto the rocks. You just wad it on the coral out of the water and then stick it in and put it on the rock, then move it around a little so the skin from when it comes in contact with the water comes off, then hold it in place for 30 sec to a minute.

15. Paradox

Paradox Haliphron Atlanticus Supporter

Super glue gels work great for frags..etc, but im looking for something stronger for larger rockwork. Plus I always glue my fingers together with that stuff =)

16. DWhatley

DWhatley Cthulhu Staff Member Moderator

Gorrilla Glue Good! Epoxy bad!

I used it in Trapper's tank and on 1/3 of my 4' live rock wall. If I had started with it on my LR wall it would have taken a day in stead of 2 weeks (in the tub w/sw) and would have stayed together much better. It dries in about 4 hours. Be careful if you use it in a wet tank (yes, that works but don't use it in a populated tank) because you will get a scum that could stick to your tank walls (it is messy). A piece of paper towel draped about 3" into the water will take care of any issues and the scum dries quickly and lifts out without a problem.

It is my very favorite glue when pretty is not a concern. Be aware that it will expand and bubble but it still looks and holds 1,000 times better than epoxy (moving your rock around afterwards is not an option).

17. tywtly

tywtly GPO Registered

Heh, I'm going to wally world tonight to stock up on Gorilla Glue. I'm letting it dry outside the water (only option, seeing as how I have no water in the tank), then once I get the sand in the tank (which I ordered this morning) [household chores = $$$ over long periods of time] I'm gonna set the rcks up in two different "piles", and hopefully this is gonna look pretty good for a lot cheaper than epoxy. Thanks everyone, you've saved me A LOT of money and now I'm well on my way to an octo tank!

18. DWhatley

DWhatley Cthulhu Staff Member Moderator

Ty,
    Just remember it is messy and not a putty so take your time and put the rock on top of some plastic garbage bags where you can leave them for about 4 hours (24 wouldn't hurt but you should be able to move your new sculpture in 4). It does expand so use less than you think you need.

19. Animal Mother

Yeah, less is more with Gorilla Glue.

If you get it on your hands it is VERY difficult to get off.

20. tywtly

tywtly GPO Registered

Ok, I'll make sure of that...last time I used it I glued my fingers together...that wasn't cool. But either way, it's gonna get to dry for about two weeks, cause that's when I'm getting to set up my tank...yay!