• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

how long do i wait.

i got my tank set up and everything, but i want something to look at in the three months of cycling besides rock and tubing. how long should i wait until putting a fish and a brittle star in. also what kinds of fish would i be able to put in that would eventually be reasonably compatable with the cuttles.

Sorry dude, you should just wait. Most likely anything you put in now is going to die during the cycle. Not only wasted money, but wasted life.

Some people try to cycle tanks with Damsels, because they are cheap and relatively hardy. However, if the Damsel does live through the cycle you are going to have a very frustrating time trying to remove him from the tank. I made the mistake of having one in my 30 gallon and it harrassed my other fish until they starved/stressed to death.

If you have to add SOMETHING to the tank, just get some hermits and snails in a couple of weeks.

I didn't want to wait either to put something in the tank, so after 2 weeks (the tank still needs to cycle some) I added some damsels. Then every week after I added a fish. Apparently I went too fast because they all died. I think they got some kind of disease and I was told to get a QT tank for them, but didn't go fast enough and they all died.

Damsels are hard to catch. I got a very aggressive one that was picking on stuff 3 times his size so I took him out. after several hours of trying to net him, and even trying a fish trap (DIY), I finally ended up having to take out all the rocks. Well after all but one of the rocks were out the retarded fish instead of swimming around decided to swim into a hole in it, so I took that rock out and shook out the fish. I punished him by leaving him out of water for a few minutes while I put my rocks back and making him live in a little cup for 12 hours until I could return him to the fish store. He was bought by someone 10 minutes after I traded him in (he was a pretty fish).

So if you get something to look at make it something slow and easy to catch, which is quite limiting. Or just get something cheap and non-aggressive that your octopus can eat.

A clean up crew is a good idea after 3 or 4 weeks. They aren't very interesting, but the snails are fun to watch the first few days you have them if you've never had them before. When I got snails, my family watched them eat on the glass instead of the new fish. You should wait on starfish too and not add them until around the same time you add your ceph. They are sensitive and die easily. Around 3 months is when pH becomes more stable, so that is a better time to add starfish.

Bob the kracken;96961 said:
i got my tank set up and everything, but i want something to look at in the three months of cycling besides rock and tubing. how long should i wait until putting a fish and a brittle star in.

Wait at least a month. Then test nitrate, nitrite and ammonia. If the levels are ok, wait another week and then test again. If the levels are fine, you could add some animals. I suggest a crab or two, and maybe a shrimp. Go slow or your levels will go wacky again. Don't add anything you don't want to keep long term, unless its food. Adding some shore shrimp should be fine.

also what kinds of fish would i be able to put in that would eventually be reasonably compatable with the cuttles.

None.

Your phrase 'reasonably compatable' with cuttles scares me.
Also, you haven't mentioned what species of cuttle you will be attempting to keep or the size of the tank.
What other sources have you talked to? What fish do they recommend?

Ah. Be aware that seahorses are their own kettle of fish with their own quirks and needs. If this is your first attempt at a saltwater tank, I would very much suggest you don't make your life more complicated. The choices you make however, are of course up to you. :smile:

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back