• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

How hard is it to keep Mysin shrimp

What do you need to do to keep mysin shrimp alive if you order them to feed your baby cuttlefish? What salt level should the water be and do you use an air stone or do they need a running filter? Can you just keep them in a holding net inside you main tank or would that kill them? Can you get them to reproduce or do you have to keep buying them at 100.00 a pop? :snorkel:

Thanks for any help you can offer,
Mike Bauer

Its a royal pain in the A$$ I will tell you that. I kept cuttlefish for a little while and I will tell you, they will eat each other up. I think only one person on here had access to tiny shrimp (mysis sized) that didnt eat each other and we have no idea which kind they are. From what I remember surface area plays a big part in keeping them alive. The aqua raised mysis lived longer and were a better quality than the wild caught mysis. I would not skimp here as you will only keep tossing your money in the garbage if you do. (I learned the hard way)

The mysid are doing well, they haven't killed each other off yet. They seem to be eating the brine shrimp hatchlings as food; as well as the powered flake food. They reproduce within 30 days, so I read, and the females seem to be carrying eggs/babies. So I think this is working so far. I will move some of the females with eggs to the 10 gal sand tank to let them finish the hatching process were the loose their shell and the babies are born.

The new order of shrimp will be here in a day or 2 these have lasted over a week and I still have more than half.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back