How do you tell a boy octopus from a girl octopus?

Discussion in 'Physiology and Biology' started by Lindsay McGuire, Oct 25, 2003.

1. Lindsay McGuire

Lindsay McGuire Larval Mass Registered

My son, John, age 9, is doing a research project on the octopus :grad:, and is having a difficult time coming up with a comprehensible description of how to tell a boy from a girl. Can anyone help him out?
    With profound thanks from Maine,
    John's mother

2. NickA5582

NickA5582 Sepia elegans Registered

I think male octo's are supposed to have enlarged sucker pads on the end of their tentacles, I'm not too sure though....

3. NickA5582

NickA5582 Sepia elegans Registered

:welcome:
    I think male octo's are supposed to have enlarged sucker pads on the end of their tentacles, I'm not too sure though....

4. Steve O'Shea

Steve O'Shea Colossal Squid Supporter

Hi John's mum (?Lindsay is it). How much time have you got? If the project can wait two days then I can get back in to work and respond with a couple of photographs of boy/girl characters. Basically the tip of the third right arm (or, rarely third left) of the male octopus is modified into a scoop/shovel (calamus/ligula) - there are no suckers at the end (the female has all 8 arms attenuating to fine, sucker-bearing tips.

There is a section online already that might help ('A guide to frequently used characters, states and measures') that has illustrations of this scoop/shovel (hectocotylus). Please see Figure 4 at http://www.tonmo.com/science/public/measurements.php

I'll post additional pics of whole animals in 2 days
    Kindest
    Steve