• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

How do you catch wild Mysid Shrimp

Hey does anyone know how to catch mysid?
I live right by a bunch of estuaries and saltwater marshes, and I'm right by the coast. Surely there has to be some way to catch my own....right?

Several members collect (or partially collect) their own food but I can't help. I will, however, rename this thread a littel so that it might get the attention of people who can.

Neogonodactylus;191378 said:
Mysids swarm to a light at night. Put a dive light in the water and scoop up the mysids with a fine meshed aquarium net.

Is there any particular location that is best? Estuaries, swamps, inlets, mangroove forest, ect. ?

Down here in Dunedin NZ, we have no mangroves etc, but we have a lot of success with night lighting over our jetty. Also we use dipnets ina brackish water area next to seagrass beds. Seagrass beds are also good for getting amphipods, just go along a little before lowtide and swish a dipnet through the seagrass, amphipods galore!

Thanks! I'll give that a try next time I'm out on the kayak.
Today I was out catching some shore shrimp along the sallow water grasses and not only did I catch a ton of shore shrimp, but also found a small pipefish.

iAlex;191420 said:
I've never tried to collect shrimp... Seems like that would be cool. I'll have to try it one of these days... :biggrin2:

I love it! I used to just go take one of my old aquarium nets and drag it threw the grasses and reeds by the shore. That's a very easy way to catch shore shrimp and amphipods. Now I use my kayak a lot so that I can go to different places. I also bought a pool cleaning net (I'm friends with the owner, so he gave it to me for the price he paid for it, this way, it was actually worth doing) which works wonders! Usually the nets go for about $40 if you get the net and the aluminum pole for it (which I needed being in the kayak), but I was able to get one for less than $20. The nets are very fine mesh, which catchs the smallest of amphipods/shrimp.

Pipes will likely snick anything that is pelagic and small enough (including pipefish hatchlings). I don't know if they will catch the pods in enough quantity since pods typically stay on the substrate (rocks, walls, etc) and don't swim in the open water column.

DWhatley;191438 said:
Pipes will likely snick anything that is pelagic and small enough (including pipefish hatchlings). I don't know if they will catch the pods in enough quantity since pods typically stay on the substrate (rocks, walls, etc) and don't swim in the open water column.

Ya, well he loves the expensive live mysid shrimp. :roll:

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back