how can i keep shore shrimp alive?

fishkid6692

Vampyroteuthis
Supporter
i'm going to order shore shrimp and put them in my 14 gallon. how many can i put in that? and what do i feed them? will the eggs they lay hatch? and other requirements to keep them alive? please help!

DWhatley

Certified Ceph Head For Life
Staff member
Regular salt water is fine. An over flow filter is a good idea for both oxygenation and water filtering. Depending upon the season, they will mate and hatch out eggs (you will likely get some with eggs) but I have never knowingly had any young survive (sometimes I find small ones that I don't think came in the shipment but I can't be sure). Because I can't seem to grow them out, now I feed the ones with eggs first to provide the extra nutrition to the dwarf octos. The ones I originally put in Ocatane's tank have disappeared but I don't know if she snagged them or if they escaped via the overflow to the fuge.

You can expect a die-off during the first week (sometimes it is significant, others not too bad and I have not come up with a formula for why). Be sure to remove the dead daily and change out a quantity of water. After the first week you should see little to no further die-off. I completely change out my water with each shipment (this does not account for the die-off and seems to help some).

DWhatley

Certified Ceph Head For Life
Staff member
If you run an oversized open filter with overflow (I keep a nylon filter bag over the intake) you should easily be able to keep 300-400. I keep 250 in a 10 gallon. If you want to experiment, you can section off a small area with one of those nylon/plastic tank dividers and put in a couple pieces of LR.The LR does seem to keep that tank water healthier. The one I have set up that way has the intake for the filter in the mini-sump so hatchling fry would not have much of a chance but without the intake and adults there may be an opportunity to grow out a few but getting them out of the mini-sump is difficult, at best.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MikeH

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV (2011): Terri
TONMOCON V (2013): Jean
TONMOCON VI (2015): Taollan
TONMOCON VII (2018): ekocak

About the Monty Awards