[Octopus]: Houdini - O. Briareus Baby

Status
Not open for further replies.
Baby Octopus briareus. I am hoping the pictures are in order. The curled up photos show a lot of stress, the bottom is a clear ID image and looks healthy. My guess is between 3 and 4 months but it could be 2 - 3 since I have no size reference. Be sure it has lots of dark places to hide in the daytime. If the curled up photos are the more current, keep the lights off for a couple of days.

You might get away with a 55 with sump but anything bigger would be better. The arm span will ultimately be 4'. I have kept a number of these (and have one slightly larger in house now). It is one of my favorite species and typically resides in at least one of my tanks.

If you look at my photo gallery, and hold your mouse over the "white" octopuses, you will see the ones labeled O. briareus. There are links to the threads of each animal associated with each picture.

Well crapola! I sold my RSM 65 last year when I couldnt get another octo since my first? Biggest I have is 38. :frown:

There were 4 of them total. Same color, sizes, and markings.

Thanks for the ID

I added you to the conversation with Inkman (check your "inbox" - upper right). You will note the markings I mentioned fit your picture as well as my suggestion that you would likely find this species and this size right now if the source is Caribbean. The 38 would only be adequate for a couple of months more but even the smaller briareus would out grow it by 6 months.

I thought it was when I was researching baby Octopus journals and photos last night. I seen the Briareus, and the Macropus. Wasn't exactly sure on which.

I got lucky with Wink being a dwarf.

I'm gonna see if our supplier can get photos of them before we order and purchase. To make sure I get a dwarf next time.

I'm gonna talk to Lance and see if he has room for them. I bought 3 of them but 2 survived the trip home. One of which is breathing heavily. Lights are all off, and the tank is sealed so no escapees, but is covered with a dark beach towel to help with the movements in the house scaring them again.

I have the remaining 2 survivors separated with one inside of a pet carrier with a LR piece to den inside.

If Twitch ends up being a Mercatoris :fingerscrossed:or at least a dwarf specie, then we're gonna trade the 1st Briareus for her. I'm gonna house the 2nd until he sets up his other tanks for a few months. Should be ample time 2-3 months. (cutting it close maybe)

It's so nice having a friend in the same obsession with you to help and trade in cases like this.

Luck is not on your side. Inkman posted a good photo of Twich and there is no question that it is O. briareus.

Critter Keepers do not keep this species in, guaranteed from at least 2 prior experiences I can think of off the top of my head. They MUST be in separate tanks or the housing problem will take care of itself so to speak. Temporarily, if you try to fashion a partition (not recommended but better than a Critter Keeper) then make it opaque with no holes bigger than a push-pin head (the round kind), most plastic peg board would have holes too large and most commercial tank dividers not study enough and not opaque. A solid sheet of plastic with a tight fit would work if you have a way to circulate the water on both sides or drill lots of small holes to allow water circulation through the partition.

Gonna hit Lowe's today and find some plastic mesh screen and glue it to the top of the actual lid, so I get the water flow, I can still lift the lid to feed, but she can't squeeze through. ( I built one before for my first one, but it got damaged over the years and has a crack on the corner)

I fed them both this morning and the one in the critter keeper is all over that thing this morning. o_O Lights are on and doesn't seem to bother her. She's really interacting with me. :cephdevil: (I could kick myself for selling my 65 last year!) :mad: I didn't think I was gonna come across another Octopus after trying for so long after my first.

Inkman is definitely taking one of them. Hoping both of them if he can swing it. I don't know of anyone else near me, with a big enough tank that wants a gorgeous Octopus. Been watching the one all morning and I've seen more movement and interaction in her in the few days she has been here then I have with Wink in 3-4 months. I can see why you love this specie!

Last edited:
Make sure there are places to hide. If possible reduce your lighting time. At this age they are very shy and do not show a lot of activity once they settle in (remember that the first month or so is often quite different and more active than after full acclimation). The activity during the day is (most unfortunately for us) not really a good sign and likely means it wants out of the Critter Keeper to find a dark den. They do tend to become more active, interactive at somewhere between 4 and 5 months old but the degree of interaction and the tolerance to daylight varies. All of our learned to come to dinner around 6:00 PM (I suspect early AM would work as well). Most would stay out for an hour or so and watch us eat but many would be most active after around 11:00 PM after the tank lights were off. My newest (still unnamed) has been stick feeding for a week but had me very worried the first two weeks (of course I always worry the first two weeks :roll:).

There is a piece of LR in with the one in the Pet carrier. When I purchased them one was already inside it, so I got the rock for free. There are tons and tons of hiding places in the rock in the tank as well. I like getting pieces that have tons of hiding holes in them.

When you say arm span of 4' is that arm tip to arm tip?(like when we hold both our arms out straight) or just one arm 4' long. Wish I had room for one this size. We're converting the downstairs bedroom into a pantry/laundry room this summer. I may try to find another bigger tank after its finished. (if the hubby lets me)

As Justin mentioned, about 2' for each arm (the front 4 arms are longer than the other 4) and you add a couple of inches for the body in between. IME, they never FULLY extend this way. There are few tanks that are 4' tall to allow a full star pattern but this is the type of full size display you see most often on either the front or back wall.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back