• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Houdini my GPO

Houdini has been taking small peaces of shrimp off the end of the stick , was getting him to come out more every day, till today, today I had a set back, today he came out all the way started wrapping around the food and one of the live grass shrimp that i am always fighting off when trying to feed him, bit him and bit him hard , he twitched a bit from the bite and went all the way back in to his den and would have nothing to do with me after that :frown:...spent the next hour removing all the live grass shrimp from the tank, I don't think he liked to eat them any way.

Try grabbing some purple shore crabs, that's what all of ours have eaten until they were almost a year old. Or let me know and I will send you some down with your next little guy :wink:

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

I am good with the crabs, been taking the wife and kids to the beach :smile: you are right he has always eaten the live shore crabs from the start. I try to have at least two or three live crabs in the tank for him to eat over the night. I have no problem with the live crabs when feeding with a stick it was just those fast shrimp,I still cant be leave one bit Houdini. Houdini should of got back at it by eating him :sagrin:

I have a pinpoint digital salinity meter , I have the 5.3 calibration fluid and already have it set . can some one please tell me what is a good number I should be reading on this meter for Houdini, ( the units are in mS )

I found a chart the converts to pp thanks :smile:

Hi Jsshark1,

I personally keep our GPO between 28-34 ppt which is pretty much standard seawater. The only thing I would be careful of is that because the water that you will be using is very cold then sometimes the digital probes get the reading slightly off. For example the salinity ours reads at is 30ppt where as we know that if we warm the water up it will then read at 32-33ppt. This can also be the same if you are using liquid test as the chemical reactions work slower therefore can give false readings. If you're not 100% sure also buy a hydrometer or a refactometer that way you can double check your findings.

D,

As for the fiddler crabs I'm not sure, could be an interesting little study for someone to see the concentrations in relation to size of the creature. We personally don't really have fiddler crabs around here so it is always shore crabs that are fed.

Thanks Perke for the info . that is where my problem began two of my hydrometer gave me two diffident reading and had to pull out the digital pinpoint i had hanging around......

I hate to say but Houdini did not make the night :frown:. He looked fine last night ,
every since the shrimp bit him he did not want to come out of his den. I ended up having to roll the food in to him, he would grab the food and do an up and down on it for around 3 to 4 min. and he would spit it out I could only assume he was eating for those 4 min., it was the third day of him starting to come out of his den for food, every day a bit farther out till that shrimp bite......

Thats a bummer :frown:

I'll keep working on getting those Bimacs in.

Let me know if you wanna try a Rubescens in that system since Houdini didnt make it .

ya we are all bummed about it,

yes I really would like to replace him with a Bimacs.

sounds good we shall see what you get next week..

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back