I have read several reports to use hot water if you are bitten/stung by any saltwater critter, including octopuses so I thought I would report on today's tank cleaning adventure. I have a flower anemone (not in with my horses or octopus) that I have come to suspect is the cause of a rash that is recurring on my tank cleaning/feeding arm. I have been trying to avoid contact with this gluttonous critter when feeding but didn't succeed while cleaning the tank today. I tried the hot water but it doesn't seem to be effective. The next tank I cleaned has my dwarf lion who I have had since it was only 2" long and I am never concerned about being stung. Well ... I was not paying close enough attention and sort of ran into her and knew it! Fortunately, the water was still hot in the tap and after about 3 minutes of continueally running hot water over the hand (and remembering barely in time to get my ring off) there was no stinging sensation left from the three place I got tagged and my hands are back to normal (except for the anemone rash on my forearm). The moral, hot water works for some but not all critter venom and just a quick rinse is not enough to tell.