Hopeful Keeper/Newb

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Watcher, Jun 23, 2004.

1. Watcher

Watcher Larval Mass Registered

Hi everyone

I've always been a freshwater aquarium keeper but have recently decided that I would really enjoy owning an octopus.

I don't plan on having my own octopus for at least a year, maybe even two. That is how long I believe it will take me to learn all I need to about not only keeping a saltwater tank, but an octo tank. I'm going to be lurking around the boards learning all I can about keeping these amazing creatures.

Any advice on where is a really good place to read about how to keep an octopus(besides here of course :roll:) would be greatly appreciated.

2. Architeuthis

Architeuthis Pygmy Octopus Registered

3. NickA5582

NickA5582 Sepia elegans Registered

:welcome: to TONMO, Watcher!

Here's a great article on keeping octopi in aquariums. http://www.dal.ca/~ceph/TCP/octokeep.html

Don't forget to check out Colin's article on keeping octos and the equipment list and all the other articles in the Ceph Care section. :)

4. Nancy

Nancy Titanites Staff Member Moderator

Hi and welcome to TONMO.com!

Be sure to have a look at my Checklist under Ceph Care, too, because I wrote it as a result of problems people were having and questions they had posed.

Since you're not planning on an octo too soon, you might practice on a small saltwater tank, such as an invertebrate tank, which can be both beautiful and interesting.

Nice that you're going to join us eventually as an octo keeper!

Nancy

5. Colin

Colin Colossal Squid Supporter

just a wee note that some of the stuff on the dal.ca link is a bit out of date now... EG check out the tank sizes and so on... 15 gals is too small for a bimac... also several members of TONMO.com have had octopuses live quite a long time after laying eggs... very good article but might be confusing for a new person as there is conflicting information...

cheers
    C

6. cephlamaniac

cephlamaniac Cuttlefish Registered