Hmmmm????

I have to stop rabbit trailing! Both rock sites have easy to read (ie laymen speak) information that brings back elementary school studies. I was surprised to find obsidian unrelated.

I don't think I saw the little fossil you are talking about (but think I found it :oops:). My curiosity was releated to where the orange shows up inside the depression on the left where I think you are referring to a "bump" above that.

Terri, have you put water on the rock to examine it? I assume the cert would show higher reflection than the limestone. Your picture of the broken section also shows what appears to be cert in the upper right in two places, one is oval shaped but neither seem to the concentric circle/oval detail of the original fossil so they may just be deposits rather than preservation.

I think you are trouble when I do get to make my trip. I will likey want to sit and look at every piece of rock in one place since "spotting" likely candidates is not a technique I will likely ever acquire :biggrin2:

where the orange shows up inside the depression on the left

On the right this time!

I will likey want to sit and look at every piece of rock in one place

In that case we'll just plop you down on a big slab of Lebanon Limestone, there's no way you could NOT spot the fossils.

Attachments

• conv_298721.jpg
    conv_298721.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 135
:cool2: Okay, that's interesting, I tried to make a fossil out of the little rings (gastropod cross section, or coral) still didn't look right. I'll have to read more...I have to tell you though Kevin you've now opened a big can of worms, following your thread may have helped me id. something else I found at the Lebanon Limestone site, I've been looking at it being fossil not mineral. I'll post pics. later. I've been calling it "fluffy stuff" for a year presuming it was some type of algeal or reef material.:roll:

If the inclusion in the rock we've been discussing is chert than I would say no. Hmm, did I just answer my own question? Are all botryoidal forms made up of chert? This stuff is washing out of the hillside, where the topsoil was dug out of the hill (Lebanon Limestone quarry). It's encrusted on rocks and a lot of the globs like above I guess have broken off. I have a pic. may take a min. to post. :confused:

You two should submit an abstract to the next GSA Meeting. :sly:

It looks like botryoidal texture, I have no idea what mineral is forming it if it is not silica... Sometimes that pinkish color means some kind of volcanic ash, but that would be unlikely within all that limestone. Any chance of finding an undisturbed fresh section showing where that is coming from?

You two should submit an abstract to the next GSA Meeting. :sly:

We probably have enough evidence.:razz:

I have no idea what mineral is forming it if it is not silica

I don't either, it's very light weight and smashes very easily with a hammer, I'll break one open tommorrow and take a look at it.

Sometimes that pinkish color means some kind of volcanic ash, but that would be unlikely within all that limestone. Any chance of finding an undisturbed fresh section showing where that is coming from?

I did read somewhere, quite a while ago, that there is some evidence of volcanic activity in the Nashville Basin, a thin layer of something somewhere. I'll have to see if I can find that.

Most of it I find washing out of the hill (or wall) of the quarry. I'll bet with some shoveling, I'll have to enlist some help, I could easily find an undisturbed section. I find small pockets of it down in the rocks but it seems to be displaced in the working of the quarry. Oh and it's washing out of clay, I somehow thought maybe that's where the color was coming from.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back