Hitchhiker ID needed

Discussion in 'Cephalopod Journals' started by Hayek, Apr 24, 2009.

1. Hayek

Hayek GPO Registered

I spotted this little bugger after turning the lights on this morning. What do you think it is? Could it be harmful to other fish/inverts/coral?

[​IMG]

2. cuttlegirl

cuttlegirl Colossal Squid Supporter Registered

It's a chiton, a little animal related to snails. It has 8 shells/plates instead of one shell. It eats algae so you should be fine.

3. Hayek

Hayek GPO Registered

That sounds like an accurate description. Thanks for the quick ID! It was quite a surprise to see it for the first time after having the live rock in there for weeks.

4. Nancy

Nancy Titanites Staff Member Moderator

Live rock is amazing - creatures keep coming out even years after you put the rock in the tank! I suppose some are so small it takes a long time for them to grow large enough for you to see, and other arrive in the form of eggs.

Nancy

5. Mr Blobby

Mr Blobby Cuttlefish Registered

chitons eat diatoms too, but they will also eat coralline algae, so make sure it doesn't run out of algae and diatoms to eat!

6. DWhatley

DWhatley Cthulhu Staff Member Moderator

I actually put got three to PUT in my tanks to see how they would fair. Unfortunately, two died within two weeks and the remaining one only lived a few months. Haggs tried a couple in his tank as well with better success but did note that the glass was scratched where the larger one stayed for a long period of time (he discovered the scratched at the bottom of the tank after the critter died). This being the case, I suspect they could be a problem with acrylic tanks. Mine, However, would not go on the clear section of the tank, only on the black sides and tubing.

7. spinycheek

spinycheek GPO Registered

I remember learning about these guys in my Marine Biology course. If I remeber correctly they make a depression in a rock that becomes their home, they only leave their spot to eat. They have some kind of homing device where they always find their spot again, really cool.

8. sedna

sedna Larger Pacific Striped Octopus Supporter Registered

Sounds like you got a lucky "freebe!" I can't believe the stuff that I still find YEARS after my LR has been in the tank.

9. Hayek

Hayek GPO Registered

It came from live rock in a 7 year old tank of an experienced reef keeper. At 2-2.5", I imagine the chiton has been in a tank environment for quite some time. I have another piece of live rock that came from the same tank with more than 100 feather dusters on it. I have seen other pieces on which there are 1-2mm corals.

[​IMG]

10. Ceph Roy

Ceph Roy O. bimaculoides Registered

There's a chiton in my tank too. Fascinating little buggers.

11. Jean

Jean Colossal Squid Supporter