• TONMOCON VII Announced | MBL at Woods Hole | Apr 6-8, 2018
  • Thanks for visiting! TONMO is the world's greatest online cephalopod enthusiast community, with interactive content going back to May of 2000, and a biennial conference. If you'd like to join in on the fun, become a TONMO member -- it's easy and free. You can follow us on Facebook and Twitter for more cephy goodness.

Hitchhiker ID needed

Hayek

GPO
Registered
I spotted this little bugger after turning the lights on this morning. What do you think it is? Could it be harmful to other fish/inverts/coral?

Hayek

GPO
Registered
That sounds like an accurate description. Thanks for the quick ID! It was quite a surprise to see it for the first time after having the live rock in there for weeks.

Nancy

Titanites
Staff member
Live rock is amazing - creatures keep coming out even years after you put the rock in the tank! I suppose some are so small it takes a long time for them to grow large enough for you to see, and other arrive in the form of eggs.

Nancy

Mr Blobby

Cuttlefish
Registered
chitons eat diatoms too, but they will also eat coralline algae, so make sure it doesn't run out of algae and diatoms to eat!

DWhatley

Cthulhu
Staff member
I actually put got three to PUT in my tanks to see how they would fair. Unfortunately, two died within two weeks and the remaining one only lived a few months. Haggs tried a couple in his tank as well with better success but did note that the glass was scratched where the larger one stayed for a long period of time (he discovered the scratched at the bottom of the tank after the critter died). This being the case, I suspect they could be a problem with acrylic tanks. Mine, However, would not go on the clear section of the tank, only on the black sides and tubing.

spinycheek

GPO
Registered
I remember learning about these guys in my Marine Biology course. If I remeber correctly they make a depression in a rock that becomes their home, they only leave their spot to eat. They have some kind of homing device where they always find their spot again, really cool.

sedna

Larger Pacific Striped Octopus
Staff member
Sounds like you got a lucky "freebe!" I can't believe the stuff that I still find YEARS after my LR has been in the tank.

Hayek

GPO
Registered
It came from live rock in a 7 year old tank of an experienced reef keeper. At 2-2.5", I imagine the chiton has been in a tank environment for quite some time. I have another piece of live rock that came from the same tank with more than 100 feather dusters on it. I have seen other pieces on which there are 1-2mm corals.

Jean

Colossal Squid
Supporter

Members online

No members online now.