Hi

Echioceras

Cuttlefish
Registered
Hi everyone,

Fossil collector here trying to identify an Ammonite. Unfortunately,
none of my books seem to have any trace of info on this one fragment...
It's only part of an ammonite, but it's enough to be strange. It's two whorls, one on top of the other, with the top one having diagonal close ribs, while the bottom one has vertical spaced out ribs. It's confusing!
Picture011.jpg

Here's a picture.
Any ideas?

Welcome to Tonmo. Once some of the ammonite lover's chime in, you'll be set !

Greg

Hello Echioceras (great name, by the way),

Where did the fossil come from? To know where might be of some help in sorting it out. It looks like a negative image to me; i.e. part of the matrix broken away from the ammonite leaving an impression of it rather than being the ammonite itself.

Maybe it's the negative impression of a couple of fragments of different ammonite forms lying adjacent to each other. Not sure though.

:welcome: to TONMO... I have no idea on the ammonite, though...

The ammonite came from Castellane in France, by a river in a camp site. I found it with loads of other different kinds of ammonite, including Hamites and Taramelliceras.

:welcome: Echioceras,

There are alot of ammonites that have different kinds of sculpture on different whorls of their shell, there are also alot that have different sculpture on the same whorl. There is also a possiblity that the ammonite could have had an injury that caused the different sculpture. Unfortunately there is just not enough of your fossil preserved that I can identify it. There are others that frequent this forum that may be able to identify it from the small fragment in the photo, maybe they will chime in later. Do any of the other ammonites you collected with this one have the same appearance?

I'll keep looking :read:

I did find one with similar diagonal close-spaced whorls, but only the one. It was quite a plentiful site, as they go, as it had ammonites, belemnites, gastropods and nautili.
Thanks for the help... I'll be looking too. :sink:

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back