Hi to all from Malta

Hello there!
After posting three videos of my cephalopods, namely cuttlefish and octopus, which I keep, observe and breed at the Malta Centre for Fisheries Sciences, I thought about introducing myself to this wonderful community.
I have been into tropical fishkeeping since I had my first guppy tank at the age of eleven! I am now 44 and still hooked to the hobby as on day one, only that four years ago my hobby has changed into a full time occupation.
I am now employed as Aquaculture officer with MCFS, a fisheries and aquaculture research institute located in a 17th. Century military fort at the picturesque fishing village of Marsaxlokk. My duties are generally those associated with Educational tours of the facilities and the daily running of a number of Mediterranean marine aquaria and three display Ponds (7500 litres each) which I use as an educational tool to raise some awareness on the conservation of the sea. Recently I am also responsible for a Trials room with 42 aquaria, plumbed to an open filtration system, which I will be using to hatch and grow live food, cuttlefish and possibly temperate seahorses.
I was a great fan of freshwater aquaria and never thought that I will ever become so passionate for the marine side of the hobby. Currently I have one 135 litres tropical marine nano tank at home and two breeding projects at work, one dealing with Sepia officinalis and another with P.elegans prawns. The rest of the aquaria are set-up as biotope community systems holding a good number of species such as Groupers, Morays, Rays, Lobsters, Amberjacks and more...
I hope I didn't bore you to death with this, but I really wish to be part of TONMO and learn as much as I can from you boys and girls!

Keep up the good work!

Ray

First of all, as Monty says, :welcome:!
Although there may be some who would disagree (probably not any TONMO members), I think it's wonderful that you are able to turn a hobby you love into a full career.

Welcome to Tonmo, and of course, it is always nice to see someone so passionate about education !

Greg

:welcome: Ray! Where are you from originally, and how in the world did you land that job? We have a lot of young members and readers who would love to be able to emulate you.

sorseress;138423 said:
:welcome: Ray! Where are you from originally, and how in the world did you land that job? We have a lot of young members and readers who would love to be able to emulate you.

Hi Sorseress
Malta is a tiny island in the Middle of the Mediterranean, with a population of about 400,000. Regarding my job, it too has its downside, such as limited holidays and long working hours!:hmm:

I know where Malta is, but I wasn't sure that was your home of origin. Lots of the most interesting jobs have the downside of lousy pay too, but if you love what you're doing it makes up for a lot!

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back