Hi there

Is it legal to get asian arowana in Belgium? Those are magnificent and are what I consider the prettiest fish. I want to get a silver but since it grow to about 1.25m max, I don't have enough space. Same for black arowana.

asian aro's are CITES I. They do turn up every once in a while, but they are much more expencive than the australian or S. american and you have to make sure you get the CITES papers with it.

i've seen asian aro on sale twice the last 6 years.

if you get a baby silver, it rarely will grow over 80cm. the biggest one I've seen was around 75cm. he was kept in a 3000 liter aquarium.

black aro's are smaller in the wild too. I've never seen a captive black longer than 60cm. they are more nervous and jumpy than silver though

This rather unscrupulous dealer in California obtained some red dragon arowanas a few years ago, and I got a chance to see them...WOW ! Of course, now he is out of business and paying a heavy series of fines...but they sure were pretty!
Greg

Can't blame the authorities on the fines, there were only 4000 wild asians 10 years ago. I don't know but for some reason, asian arowana are not allowed to be brought in the US.
Yea, even here where there are a few aro farms they can be quite pricey. A nice 20 inch fish for $40000 + would you buy that?

A nice 20 inch fish for $40000 + would you buy that?

maybe if I were bill gates and didn't care about the money. But since I'm still myself I'd have to work over a year to get that kind of money. so no thanks.

funny story: I help out in an aquariumshop once in a while. And we had a woman come to the shop who was obsessed by feng shui. she wanted an asian golden aro. which is about the most expencive on the market. through my contacts at arowanaclub, I got the email of a farm in singapore that breeds and exports asian aro's.

I asked them prices transport included. called the lady up to tell her the amount (I think it was around $10000, it was a babyfish) and to ask for an advance. needless to say we never saw her again.

Yeah, they are pricey! These little jobs (3-4") were sold for 20,000 each...to undercover feds !
Someday....sigh.
Greg

Here's a pic of one of my females..."piglet"...
When we move this summer, I am going to have to buy some more 125 gallon tanks...they are starting to outgrow the 75's!
Greg

now those are gorgeous fish. especially the first one.

I know this thread is drifting

it's not so bad. we're still under water :wink: and we're introducing our knowledge of aro's to eachother :mrgreen:

anyway if it goes to far, I'm sure they'll tell us.

I have a bunch of growing Ornate bichirs...growing soooooo slowly!
Those are some nice arowanas...wish we could get them!
I am not sure where the two I saw came from, they were imported via the black market...bummer.
Greg

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back