Hi there ,very new to the octo cult

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Sepirez, Nov 7, 2016.

1. Sepirez

Sepirez Larval Mass Registered

Hi i live on the isle of Skye in Scotland,i have an 800l tank and most of my friends are fishermen so getting hold of a little 8 legged buddy will be easy as a cold water octo is my preference (and save them from becoming bate). Also plenty of fresh live food available.any advice for a beginner would be much appreciated.
    also i`m very glad to find a forum that is as informative and helpful as this,hope you guys can help me too!!

Tom

tonmo and AJ3Hearts like this.
  2. cuttlegirl

cuttlegirl Colossal Squid Supporter Registered

Wow, that's a big tank. How long have you had the tank set up? Do you have a chiller to keep the water cold? What is your set up?

Glad you could find us.

3. AJ3Hearts

AJ3Hearts Cuttlefish Registered

:tentacle1:Hello and welcome!

4. Sepirez

Sepirez Larval Mass Registered

Hi @cuttlegirl ,Im in the VERY early stages,got the tank sat in a garage just now until l i can have it moved inside (nearly a tonne in weight haha)and i can buy a couple of must haves(still researching those). Still getting my head around the way the sump works with the cooler,and the nitrates,alkalinity and well yes basically everything.Hoping maybe by next march sorta time i can have had it ready to rock for a month.a close friend of mine keeps tropical fish and another who used to own this tank kept cold water marine so Ive got plenty of tank set up help available,theres a lot to learn still for me though so be on standby :D

DWhatley likes this.
  5. tonmo

tonmo Titanites Staff Member Webmaster Moderator

:welcome: and thanks for joining!
    good deal! 8-)
    we will! And remember, Search is your friend :smile2:

6. DWhatley

DWhatley Cthulhu Staff Member Moderator

LOL, usually when someone mentions their tank size in liters it sounds large until I Google the conversion and then I worry about it being big enough, especially since you will be keeping a cold water vulgaris (the Caribbean warmer water variety are somewhat smaller). A 200 gallon tank, however, will be just fine for your local animals. I don't recall anyone keeping one in a journal here so I hope you will log the experience!