Hi there, new here!

jack-knife

Cuttlefish
Registered
Well i have been in the hoby for a while now and have wanted to branch into keeping an octopus. I have desided on the two spot and would love all the help i can get from all of you. I have done my research and i guess my first step is to ask for a sorce to get them from where they are young and healthy so when my tank is done i will be ready to go. I am glad to have found this forum and look forward to convercing with all of you. Thank you in advance for any and all help you offer.
:gigas:

Sourcing is always a shot in the dark. Young and healthy, likewise. Which two-spot are you anticipating? The Caribbean Two-Spot is occassionally available, the Pacific bimacs are currently only being kept by people who can find them themselves in tidal pools. My first recommendation is to size your tank so that it will be able to accomodate the largest octopus you would consider keeping. The have very short lifespans and the expense and time to create the environment needs to take into consideration that multiple octopuses will inhabit the aquarium over time.

I will be keeping the ones i can find in the tide pools around los angeles lol. no need to have one sent from the east coast when i have them here. Do you happen to know of some tide pools that i can go and catch them at? Ones that are not in a park, protected, or that kind of stuff. Just somewhere that i will run into the least amount of problems. The last place i went scouting for them in malibu, the life gard was ready to call fish and game on me when i was just poking around and looking lol.

Cuttlegirl posted an excellent reference for Collecting in California in the Sources For Cephalopods and Foods Forum. Here is the link to the thread but it is a sticky so you should be able to find it later when you are ready to search. Be SURE to read the entire thread to the end as one of our members contacted Fish and Game and posted the results.

dwhatley;161306 said:
Cuttlegirl posted an excellent reference for Collecting in California in the Sources For Cephalopods and Foods Forum. Here is the link to the thread but it is a sticky so you should be able to find it later when you are ready to search. Be SURE to read the entire thread to the end as one of our members contacted Fish and Game and posted the results.

cool thanks!

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back