• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

hi ,new here a couple of quick questions

NickA5582 said:
Uh, SPAM. :roll:

Ya sure got that right. But to stay on topic...Colin, you said:

Colin said:
...depends how you define intelligent???? they certainly respond to their keeper and learn to recognise feeding time etc. But they are really not equiped to open jar and doors and stuff like that if that is what you define as being intelligent....

So would you say cuttles are more intelligent than octos?

It would be hard to really say as they behave in different manners, its just not easy to compare. For example, if you see an octo crawl into a tube wihtout knowing where that leads to we call it curiousity/and possibly intelligent/capable of learning....etc but a cuttle could only do that in his dreams. We can't read their minds on what they're thinking about....sadly.

Spamuel, you spelled LoL wrong, Its LoL not looooooooooooooooooooooooooooool ahahahahahahaha

Could I request moderation?

certainly :smile: i deleted all ant's crap 8)

So would you say cuttles are more intelligent than octos?
said BOE :smile:

LOL so, you are going to drag it out of me??? LOL

Well, i think that is you define intellegence as problem solving then an octo is more intellegent... but then that is a big part of their natural life...
However if intelligence is measured on the strength of their comminication then I'd say cuttles, that's because they spend much more time flashing colours and watching you than octos, dare i even say mimic hand gestures???

So, what does all that mean?

...I'm not touching it with a ten foot pole :wink: Its in the eye of the beholder!

I would say cuttle, though I'm biased. Their communication is certainly more advanced and they look like the pondering sort while the octos look more playful to ME. Its a bit like the Mimic octopus thing, are they really mimicking stuff or are they doing their own thing which we think looks like mimicry, in other words, do they learn these traits or is it by instinct.

Sorry if it sounds confusing, I'm having a hard time putting my thoughts together.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back