• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Hi, I'm new

Hi and welcome to TONMO.com! :welcome:

You're in luck - aquacultured bimacs are sold very near you. You'd probably be able to drive over and pick one up. Here is the link:

Octopets

Octopets has been out of bimacs for a while but are supposed to have some more available soon. So be sure to make arrangements before you stop in.

Nancy

Ok, my mom wants to know a few things
#1 how do you keep the water cool in the summer
#2 where can you get live crabs and other food for them
If my mom comes up with anymore questions i'll post them

Oh yea, she wanted to know if there was a closer place to get octos besides Lancaster, we live in Stroudsburg PA.

#1 - Keep your house air-conditioned (or buy a chiller for the aquarium)

If you get a bimac, the water in a shallow tide pool here in San Diego can get up to 75 degrees on a really hot day, however in general in the summertime the water here is 69-70 degrees. And in the wintertime it's 55-60 degrees.

#2 - fish stores, asian markets, bait shops, etc, any place that has live shrimp, fish, or crabs would be a good place to look. There are actually lots of places if you look around at other options besides just fish stores. And of course, you can always setup a separate "octo food" tank to keep their food in. And there's always mail order as well :biggrin2:

I was able to keep the temperature of my tank in the low 70's even in the Texas summer by:
1) keeping the air conditioning turned down low
2) running the protein skimmer mainly at night, when I could lower the temperature still more
3) keeing a fan blowing on the sump

Nancy

Thanks :smile: I think i got my mom to get a 55 gallon tank too :cool2: . So it's all good! i want to thank you all for your help and I will probably have more questions later on, but i'm all out for now. Thank you all again for your help!!!! :rainbow:

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back