Hi - I work with bimacs

Spirula

Cuttlefish
Registered
Hi, I'm a third year undergrad majoring in biology. I currently work raising octos in a lab studying the two-spot octopus (O. bimaculoides).

I'm interested in a lot of different aspects of cephalopods including non-visual photo-reception, reflectin proteins, further classification of cephalopod camouflage behaviors and the ways in which octopods modify their physical environments.

Feel free to ask me about bimac care or tell me if you know anyone looking for a field assistant for a few months (can be unpaid).

Sidenote, here are some of my favorite lesser-known ceph facts:
  • Spirula is a squid-like ceph which still has an internal shell!
  • Paper nautiluses (also known as Argonauts) are in fact not nautiluses, they are octopods who produce their own shell!
  • The iridescent structures in cuttlefish, euprymna, squid and octopods are all structurally different as well as genetically different (though similar)

:welcome: Spirula! We love our academics and have several members that have now completed or are in the process of completing their PhD's in Cephalopods (off the top of my head, Drs. Roy Caldwell (@Neogonodactylus), Christine Huffard (@mucktopus), Robyn Crook (@robyn), Kat Bolstad (@Tintenfisch ), Graeme Walla (@Graeme), Kirt Onthank(@Talloan) and coming soon Greg Barord (@gjbarord) with several others on the way. Some of their papers may help you in your studies. I try to keep a list of what any of our members publish through Google Scholar. If you would like me to add you to my ongoing search, please create an entry in the Members Publication thread. I don't ask member to keep up the list them selves but do need you to make the initial entry. All that is required is to add your publication name to a new post and I can add it to my scan.

:oops: I can't believe I failed to include @GPO87 and @Heather Braid on the list of upcoming notables as well but you should see most of our academics and article contributers in the afore mentioned list. Hopefully, some of the publications and contacts will be helpful.

:welcome: Spirula! We love our academics and have several members that have now completed or are in the process of completing their PhD's in Cephalopods (off the top of my head, Drs. Roy Caldwell (@Neogonodactylus), Christine Huffard (@mucktopus), Robyn Crook (@robyn), Kat Bolstad (@Tintenfisch ), Graeme Walla (@Graeme), Kirt Onthank(@Talloan) and coming soon Greg Barord (@gjbarord) with several others on the way. Some of their papers may help you in your studies. I try to keep a list of what any of our members publish through Google Scholar. If you would like me to add you to my ongoing search, please create an entry in the Members Publication thread. I don't ask member to keep up the list them selves but do need you to make the initial entry. All that is required is to add your publication name to a new post and I can add it to my scan.

Thank you very much for the info :smile:

I'm just an undergrad and haven't authored any papers. But as soon as I do, I will make sure everyone on earth knows haha.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back