Hi from Indonesia

Hello all,
I've been viewing this site since a few years ago, but today is the first time I registered myself to this TONMO. I got myself hooked to marine biology (and thus cephalopods) for quite a long time and I find this website very useful for my research :smile:

Currently, I am interested in ammonite paleobiology - especially the field concerning the soft body anatomy, which is quite an elusive bit of information anywhere else.

:welcome: to Tonmo.com! It's very cephy here, as I'm sure you already know. You'll like it!

Oh crikey, I'm so sorry I missed your welcome message! Love the avatar you have there, most definitely a good choice.

Do you have any opinions on ammonoid soft-body form? If so I'm sure we'd love to hear about your ideas. For me, one of the main ones is simply why we don't find them? Why is it that belemnoid soft bodied fossils be found in some contexts (e.g. Solnhofen), yet associated ammonites are just the shell? Were they that different?

Welcome again, and my apologies again for being late to greet you!

:bonk: :ceratite:

Heheh, thanks everyone! I'm really glad being able to meet all of you :wink:.

Phil;80994 said:
Oh crikey, I'm so sorry I missed your welcome message! Love the avatar you have there, most definitely a good choice.

Do you have any opinions on ammonoid soft-body form? If so I'm sure we'd love to hear about your ideas. For me, one of the main ones is simply why we don't find them? Why is it that belemnoid soft bodied fossils be found in some contexts (e.g. Solnhofen), yet associated ammonites are just the shell? Were they that different?

Welcome again, and my apologies again for being late to greet you!

:bonk: :ceratite:

And thanks Phil! I'm happy that someone actually liked my avatar :biggrin2: , the ammonite not quite what I've imagined though.......I made it in rush :-/. The guilt is now mutual as I replied to your message quite late too, just by now :mrgreen:

Concerning ammonite soft body.......hmmmm, what in my mind presently is, I am not really sure on how they might looked like in real life, but I found your opinion that they might be similar to octopus and squids based on radula quite plausible. After all, they are steps ahead from nautiloids, and I think the chance of them possessing advanced organs just like their naked relatives very possible (that is, not possessing too much tentacles or pinhole eyes).

I wonder if fossil nautiloids ever have their soft bodies preserved? or differences between nautilus and coleoid tissue? What in my mind is, if coleoids have a different tissue composition compared to nautilus (or nautiloids, for that case), plus if nautiloids never have their flesh fossilized, then there is a chance that ammonoids have their body (or at least tissue composition) quite similar to nautiloids.

But then, my guesses above are nothing more than amateur conjectures, and I'm nothing more than a highschool marine biologist-wannabe. I hope someday I will be able to become the real one, just like all of you :smile:

Best Wishes,

-agha.]

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back