Hi, can anyone help?

Graeme

Vampyroteuthis
Registered
Hi all, I'm new here. I know, I know, I should have joined a while back.
Anyway, I'm a poor (cue violin) university student who needs to find literature for my honours project, which is about comparing the morphology of suckers in cephalopods. I hope to go into detail, with regards to the composition of the hooks/discs (ie. chitin, but finding out more in depth chemical compositions), feeding behaviours etc. I've been trawling through the university's library search programme looking for scientific papers, and the like, but nothing's turned up. Are there any papers, journals, or even good books on cephalopod anatomy and morphology?
Cheers

Graeme said:
Hi all, I'm new here. I know, I know, I should have joined a while back.
Anyway, I'm a poor (cue violin) university student who needs to find literature for my honours project, which is about comparing the morphology of suckers in cephalopods. I hope to go into detail, with regards to the composition of the hooks/discs (ie. chitin, but finding out more in depth chemical compositions), feeding behaviours etc. I've been trawling through the university's library search programme looking for scientific papers, and the like, but nothing's turned up. Are there any papers, journals, or even good books on cephalopod anatomy and morphology?
Cheers
since you asked: :boohoo:

William Kier did some work on sucker morphology, although mostly he does musculature of arms and tentacles. You might use that as a starting point for a literature search. His morphology work is great, but he really focuses on the muscles, so I'm not sure it's directly useful for the chitinous bits.

There are a few very good books on ceph morphology. Nesis (1983/87) includes illustrations of the suckers wherever possible, which may help you, if you can get a copy of it. Some of the Tree of Life descriptions of various species include illustrations of suckers and hooks as well, with references to where the original figures are published. Steve and I did a few illustrations of various sucker rings in our paper on Architeuthis gut contents, which I can email you if you are interested...
Hope some of these are useful! They're a start anyway; I'll look around and see what else I can find. This is the full Nesis ref:

Nesis, K.N. 1987. Cephalopods of the world (English translation). Tropical Fish Hobbyist (T.F.H.) publications, Neptune City. 352 pp.

Thanks folks. This is a big help. Iv'e already got my foot in the door of a local (ish) aqaurium as well, so practical work might be a go-ahead too, which is pretty much what I was hoping! i will look up this William Kier, as arm morphology is definitely a good start! As for that Cephalopods of the World, Tintenfisch, is it still in publication? That Architeuthis paper would be welcome, if you don't mind sending it, as I would like to look at this genus a bit, in my paper.
Cheers all. Any more help is welcome- I guess this can be classified as begining to source my material, eh?

Alas, Cephalopods of the World by Nesis is out of print.... and a wide range prices (which tend to be high) for it out in the ether....

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back