• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Hi advice needed please

Martin1

Hatchling
Registered
Hi,

I am looking to buy and octopus I could really do with some help picking the right one! Im looking for one with a longish life span I have been looking and seen most only live for 6 months, could anyone tell me a species and how to I'd them and size they would grow to and any places they know where to purchase I live in the uk as well.

The tanks which i am looking to get is a 150 litre I would rather have an octopus which doesnt mind the light in the day time to much any information would be great

many thanks.

:welcome: to TONMO

When it comes to picking an octopus species often there is not much of a choice. Most suppliers have no idea how to identify them so they usually just call the"Common Brown Octopuses" but technically there is no such thing. So basically it is a huge gamble.

I'm not aware for a place to get octopuses in the UK. Sometimes the Local fish stores there can special order them

Unfortunately 150 liters is too small for most octopuses axcept the dwarf species, O. Mercatoris, which is nocturnal.

The min for most octopuses is 300L

I live in coastal southern California, and I keep Octopus Bimaculoides, which is common along our coast. It took a while to learn when where and how to catch them, and a lot of research on Tonmo, and elsewhere, to learn how to keep them, but now when my octopus dies, I can go catch a replacement. There is a species of octopus that has become quite common in the northern parts of england and in Scotland in recent years (a nuisance in fact - because of overfishing cod which used to prey on young octopus) called the Lesser Octopus - Eledone cirrhosa

A very large one is about 30 inches from tentacle to tentacle, which is a little smaller than a bimac, and would probably fit into a 150 liter tank (especially if you add a 70 - 100 liter sump). The downside is that you would need a chiller to keep the water cold enough, and you would need to insulate the tank, or make it out of thick acrylic, to avoid condensation. The up side is that if you live where you can easily catch your own - you can easily catch your own. You can probably pay a crab or lobster fisherman to get one for you (as they often find them raiding their traps).

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back