Hey, my tank and the octopus for me :)

zacattack

Hatchling
Registered
Hello, I have been interested in keeping specimen tanks for a while now. I have previously had a sehorse breeder tank and now i am interested in an octopus tank. I have a 15 gallon tank that is very well cycled and has about 5 pounds or so of live rock. I am using a 25 gallon canister filter so it is also very well filtered. I have researched different species of octopus from the pygmy to the Bimac. but i cant find a species in between. The pygmy has a very short life span and the others are just to big. so i was wondering if there was a small species perfect for the tank:biggrin2:
thanks alot,

Zac

Nancy

Titanites
Staff member
Hi and welcome to TONMO.com!:welcome:

Sorry, but your tank is too small for an octopus. The most commonly kept octopus is the tank raised bimac, and it requires at least a 50 gallon tank. Not only does the octopus need room to move, but it also places a heavy load on your filtration system. You'd need a protein skimmer in addition to other filtration.

So, think about it and see whether you want to take the plunge and set up a larger tank.

Nancy

corw314

Colossal Squid
Staff member
:welcome: Think Nancy said it all! Larger tanks are better cause there's less chance of crashing!

Carol

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadicusQuenchicus

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV (2011): Terri
TONMOCON V (2013): Jean
TONMOCON VI (2015): Taollan