Hey folks

Graeme

Vampyroteuthis
Registered
Hi all, a couple of you may already know me now, since I kinda jumped right into it without much of an intro. My name is... well, I guess you can figure that part out. I've been interested in Cephalopods since an early age, which has driven me to use them as subject matter for my Honours Project this year. I'm in my final year at Uni doing Zoology, and I like Guinness and and heavy metal (but I do listen to LOTS of music genres; How many people do you know who listen to Iron Maiden AND Fleetwood Mac!?).
Also I'm from the tundra wastes known as Scotland, which may account for my eccentricity- You gotta be a bit, er, funny to live here, I guess! Oh, yeah, and I'm a fan of anime, and pretty much anything to do with the Cthulhu Mythos.

Well that's about it really. So... Heyas, People!!!!

Graeme

CapnNemo said:
hello from the other end of the island.

lol, yes indeed! (sorry, I just thought it sounded funny, kinda like just shouting it over the other side of the street!)
Just because the UK ain't exactly the hotbed of Ceph's, doesn't mean it can't have its fair share of enthusiasts!I found out something quite interesting the other day. I thought that the North Sea would be too cold to accommodate octopuses, but hey, I found out from a local Aquarium (a tourist one, not a "buying fish" one) that the fishermen they are in contact with seem to get them in a lot. Can't remember the Scientific name, but I think he said it was the Little Octopus. I know there's plenty of common squid and cuttles about, but I thought Octopuses only occurred in the far south of the UK, around Cornwall and the likes!
Graeme

Yep, welcome from another UK ciizen. As you say, UK waters aren't exactly a hotbed of cephalopod activity, but interesting things do happen. Maybe this'll be of interest:

British marine life: Octopuses and other cephalopods

At least 25 Architeuthis captures and strandings have been recorded from British waters, mostly from Scotland, so keep your eye out on those beaches. If you find one this week, you'll be certain to hit the headlines!

I'd heard that the aquarium in Millport (Greater Cumbrae) displays octis (haven't been there in years we immigrated to NZ when I was 7) Also Graham Pierce leads a ceph group in Aberdeen.........so there is albeit hidden activity up there in the wilds of Scotland!!!

Jean

Jean said:
I'd heard that the aquarium in Millport (Greater Cumbrae) displays octis (haven't been there in years we immigrated to NZ when I was 7) Also Graham Pierce leads a ceph group in Aberdeen.........so there is albeit hidden activity up there in the wilds of Scotland!!!

Jean

Ah, thanks Jean for namesdropping that guy in Aberdeen. I'm like 45 minutes away from that place. I already know of one guy there, prof. Peter Boyle, who's meant to be quite big in the field of Ceph's!
Thanks guys for welcoming me.

Graeme

Graeme said:
I already know of one guy there, prof. Peter Boyle, who's meant to be quite big in the field of Ceph's!

Yes he is, but I happened to have one of Dr Pierces papers sitting in front of me when I replied and my mind being somewhat overstuffed at the moment I couldn't remember any other names :oops:

Jean

Yeah, this little dude usually sits on my car parcel shelf beside a pluch Nyarlathotep, but I've just got a new car and it's in dire need of a clean out at the moment. BTW bigG, is that also a pic of Cthulhu? It's quite groovy, a bit freaky.

Graeme

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back