• TONMOCON VII Announced | MBL at Woods Hole | Apr 6-8, 2018
  • Thanks for visiting! TONMO is the world's greatest online cephalopod enthusiast community, with interactive content going back to May of 2000, and a biennial conference. If you'd like to join in on the fun, become a TONMO member -- it's easy and free. You can follow us on Facebook and Twitter for more cephy goodness.

hey everyone.

fishkid6692

Vampyroteuthis
Supporter
hey everyone. it's been a while since i've been on here. i really want to try an octo in my reef tank. theres only one fish and thats a clown. i was thinking some sort of dwarf. i don't mind it being nocturnal. i've kept a few octos before and i miss not having one. theres an octo on reef scavengers and i was wondering if anyone could take a guess at what it is. i don't think the picture is acurate because the picture looks like a briareus. any help would be great thanks!

Animal Mother

Architeuthis
Supporter
Same old picture they've been using, O. macropus, which is far from being a dwarf.

LONG-ARMED OCTOPUS (OCTOPUS MACROPUS)

The Long-armed octopus can commonly grow to about 36” or 1m in length when the body and arm lengths are measured. The arms are normally more than 7 times the length of the body, hence their name. They are quite distinctive with their red/brown colouring and small white spots however as with many other species they are able to change their colour whenever the need arises. They have eyes high up on the head with a distinctive bump above each one.
So, they're either A) lazy and using the picture of an O. macropus to represent a random octopus they have in-stock, or B) It's an O. macropus and they labeled it as an "Atlantic Pygmy Octopus" which would be very unfair to the octopus considering the care requirements they list.

Members online

No members online now.