Heteromorphs

As opposed to being the inner whorls of an adult. :smile:

An adult would have been about 70-100 mm dia., it would have kept growing septa where the body chamber is on this one. If this was the inner whorls of an adult it would be completely septate. It is just additional data to show we have very young ammonites mixed in with some adults (though not of this genera). :cool2:

Excellent find Kevin. Do you ever see in-place aptychi in this deposit? I have juveniles with aptychus in place from the Lebanese Cretaceous, but they have diameters ten times larger than your little baby.

Good luck! Here's an 18 mm youngster and a 40 mm example with aptychus and francolite-preserved soft parts.

Attachments

• conv_297217.jpg
    conv_297217.jpg
    347.2 KB · Views: 173
  • conv_297218.jpg
    conv_297218.jpg
    215.9 KB · Views: 179
Two from Utah, the top is A. hazzardi from the Coniacian and the bottom one is in my friend Jim's collection, A. annulatum from the Cenomanian. The small one, in the previous post, is Turonian, from the time in between.

Attachments

• conv_297221.jpg
    conv_297221.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 185
  • conv_297222.jpg
    conv_297222.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 201
Phlycticrioceras trinodosus, The both have the same two rows of ventrolateral nodes and the single row of ventral nodes, and the ribs look very close to each other. Mine is the partial fossil in the lower right hand corner, never have been able to find a complete specimen yet. :sad:

I see what you mean. I guess they're not very closely related though. I have an old book putting Choristoceras in Order Ceratitida. For distribution it says "Alps to Timor, N. America and Arctic." Do you ever come across these?

Choristoceras is a Late Triassic ammonoid, from about 200 Ma. Phlycticrioceras is from the Late Cretaceous, about 85 Ma. About 115 million years separate the two, almost twice the amount of time ammonoids and dinosaurs have been extinct. They are not closely related as taxa nor in time, just a very good example of homeomorphs :biggrin2:

I think they find them over in Nevada, but I haven't found any. :sad:

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back