HES HERE!!! Unknow OCTO Swimming in the bag

Glock;168897 said:
Do you always keep the air stone?

I do. I remember once Isis was acting really odd... like she couldnt breath... Turned out the water level in Isis sump was low and the air stone wasnt in the water. Once I put it in there she came right back to her normal happy octopus self.

I am glad he is doing much better. I was worried there for a min.

He seems to be better under the rock in what I guess you could call his den for now. I will update in the morning. SHould I turn the light on tomorrow or still wait it out?

I only use an air stone when I'm transporting (in the bucket), but you need to make sure that your tank water is well oxygenated. I use a wet/dry trickle filter that is open on the top, and that really oxygenates the water well. I had a top on the wet/dry for a while at first, and that didn't let enough fresh air in. Don't trust a skimmer to oxygenate the water. They don't seem to do a good job of it. An air stone all the time might be a good idea, especially if your tank is covered, as most are to prevent escape.

If there are sufficient caves to hide in, it should be okay to have the light on, assuming that it's off most of the night (after you go to sleep)

:angelpus:

Mad cause he looked so much better and I left him alone. When I took him out his front arms were either cut or something. They were only 1/2 long and another arm was badly damaged as well. Poor lil guy had a rough week probaly. going to call live aquaria and see what they want.

Just a reminder that you you don't want actual bubbles in the tank because they can be harmful to octopuses - it's possible to use an air lift, but generally you can generate enough oxygen in the sump. Proten skimmers vary by brand and by adjustment as to how much they oxygenate. A wet/dry filter also helps. Having the outflow cut the surface of the water adds oxygen as well.

Nancy

I feel your disappointment and we all share your sadness. This has been the worst year I can remember for octopuses not surviving shipment. So much so that I wondered about possible changes on the shipper side and asked Kara (SealifeInc) if she has noticed more DOA with other animals. She replied that she had not seen a notable change.

You can expect arm amputations with any wild caught octopus. After you watch one hunt, you can see why. What you want to see is new growth where an arm has been amputated. If the ends are ragged, self mutilation is always a concern and is often a precursor to death. New growth (looking like a little string in the beginning) is a positive sign that the animal is healthy enough to be regenerating.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back