• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

HE'S HERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

yeah, for about 10 minutes when I put him in!

after that he started playing hide and seek. apparently he's verrrrry good in the hiding part.

every few days I find a some empty crab shells, so he is feeding.
a few days ago, I even found a musselshell which was pried open. I doubt if a black molly can do that.

This spring I took 6 just hatched briareus from Debbie (dbbga) and put them in my 19 gallon invertebrate tank, which was full of amphipods. I saw the babies for about a week, then I didn't see them anymore and assumed they had all died, which made me very sad.

After about three months, we noticed there was a decline in amphipods. A couple of weeks later, I thought my hermit crab had died....and so on. Then my husband was cleaning the aquarium, scraping off some algae, when out of the liverock popped a little red octopus - actually, a fair sized little 4-month old octopus, mantle over an inch! All that time, for four months, she had been hiding! The tank is in the kitchen, and we look at it many times a day, and with a flashlight at night. And we never saw her, all that time. (Unfortunately, she lived only a couple of weeks after we spotted her).

So you can see how well they can hide. On the other hand, they do become curious and you can lure them out with food. Many smaller octos are very cautious and become friendlier later.

Nancy

So you can see how well they can hide. On the other hand, they do become curious and you can lure them out with food

no I can't see how well they can hide, because they're so good at it :lol:

tried the luring trick. but would you come out for some thawed shrimp and mussels when the fresh stuff is stupid enough to pass right in front of you.

personally, I think that's part of the "problem". he's got food abundant, he probably doesn't even have to come out of his layer to catch something

That may be a route for you to pursue...works with falcons, after all !
greg

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back