• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Herman is gone

pilotinho

Blue Ring
Registered
I came home this Thanksgiving weekend to find my buddy Herman had passed. I was out of town for a few days and the person who fed him said that he wasn't coming out of his den. I have had him since May from Octopets and he was already the size if my fist at least. We got along great, I fed him live clams, frozen squid, live crabs (when available) and frozen mysis shrimp. Every day he would greet me when I got home and I would feed him by hand. Often he would crawl out onto my hand. Last week he set up a barricade around his live rock den and refused to come out. He accepted food from me on Wednesday, I didn't know it could happen so fast. I lifted up the rock where he used to live and found a white gelatinous substance clinging to the underside of the rock. I understood that octo eggs where like small stalks of grapes. I don't know what was wrong with my tank, all chemical readout where in the green. It was hard to remove him. I felt terrible.

RIP Hermin....Sounds like Hermin had eggs. That is what I found after Gimpy passed. I know how hard it is to loose a pet but I hope you both will consider another at some point. They are magnificent to experience which is why when I know one is near the end of it's life I like to get another, not that it makes it any easier as they are all so different and endearing in their own ways...

Carol

Well, I don't know about in captivity, but cephalopods usually die after 1 bout of reproduction (I'm not sure if this is the reason for their death though), which is maybe why there were eggs found. It's a shame, and hte reason why I can't bring myself to keep a pet octopus- they're so intelligent, and amazing that you can't help but feel a special bond with them.

Graeme

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back