[Cuttlefish Eggs]: Here we go...

Reaction score
I came home to yet a third cuttlefish. These guys are just popping out left and right. I also set up a little shrimp tank for the mysid shrimp, that might also serve as an additional grow out tank if necessary.

Reaction score
While watching tv this evening, #4 hatched out. I think he's a little premature because he still has his yolk sack, and his eyes don't look quit right to me? Does anyone have some input on his eyes? They look like they are popping out kind of.

20160326_233836 [2230791].jpg

Reaction score
No pictures/videos this time, but I woke up this morning to my wife shouting up the stairs..."You have seven babies." I was wondering if anyone has had any issues with snails or other invertebrates harassing/killing juvenile cuttlefish? Nothing can get into the HOB breeder box, but I just want to make sure there is nothing in the main display that could hurt them. All I have are some nassarius snails, turbo snails, and maybe a bristle worm or two. I also have a few amenome species that are going to be re-homed soon, along with a Caribbean cup coral. After that I'm pretty sure there would be nothing inside the system that could hurt the cuttles.

Reaction score
At the rate everyone was hatching, I was really hoping to find more when I came home from work. Still just seven and counting. I added some more adult brine this afternoon and harvested some amphipods from the refugium this evening. Tomorrow they'll get their first batch of mysid shrimp.

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
Reaction score
Common algae eating snails and (in general) bristle worms are not problems. Meat eating and high stinging corals can be, especially for hatchlings (just as they are for fish).

Reaction score
Should I remove the nassarius snails then? I'm removing all of the anemones and the cup coral. I have three species of zooanthids, two species of mushrooms, a bird's nest acropora, pocillopora, pagoda, toad stool leather, two mystic montipora, an unknown acropora sp. (brown flesh/blue polyps), paly zoa, three orange tree sponges, green gorgonian, an unknown encrusting xenia sp., green star polyps, electric flame scallop, and an unknown brain coral sp. The brain coral does extend some feeding/sweeper tentacles at night, but I was told by someone at a LFS that it shouldn't hurt anything.

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
Reaction score
Snails, mushrooms, leathers, sponges, gorgonians, xenia and green star polyps are OK (ie filter feeders with no/limited stinging capability). I am not sure about the scallop as it might be capable of incidental damage, especially to feeding tentacles should a cuttle go after food heading to the scallop shell. Some of the other aggressive corals MAY be OK with adults but not with babies.

Reaction score
Good to know about the potential issues with the scallop. I hadn't thought of that. I'll put it in the refugium with the other inhabitants that are being removed. By aggressive corals I assume you just mean the brain coral? I don't think any of the other SPS/LPS corals have much of a sting, if any. Here's a video I just took of the brain with his tentacles out.

Reaction score
I pulled out a bunch of empty/infertile eggs from the breeding tank today. I also lost a second cuttlefish today with another looking like it'll be dead soon. The other five are still looking good. When I finished I noticed another little guy making his way into the world. He was faster than I was though. When I saw him, he just had the tip of his mantle poking out. By the time I grabbed my camera phone and turned around he was already half way out. So the total now is 9 hatched, 7 alive, and 8 eggs remaining. With any luck I can get most of these guys hatched and to adulthood. Here's hoping...

Reaction score
The borderline cuttlefish just died, leaving me with six total still kicking. I'm expecting a few more eggs to hatch. The most recent one that hatched in the video above did so with a small yolk sack, but quickly dropped it after leaving the egg. Is this normal behavior? I've seen a few others do this as well, while others have hatched without any yolk sack.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fokfok

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV (2011): Terri
TONMOCON V (2013): Jean
TONMOCON VI (2015): Taollan