Here we go again...

TQN

O. bimaculoides
Registered
Well, this morning more cuttle eggs arrived!
These ones came from Tracy in southern Utah (Octopus Reef). I ordered 10, and when they arrived, there were a bunch of extras thrown in too. Overall a very smooth transaction, and the eggs look great!
One hatched in transit, and I can see babies in many of the other eggs. So far so good...
It is amazing to compare the size of the new hatchling with the babies from the previous batch. I had forgotten how tiny the fresh hatchlings are!

Attachments

• conv_303523.jpg
    conv_303523.jpg
    356.1 KB · Views: 78
  • conv_303524.jpg
    conv_303524.jpg
    312 KB · Views: 115
  • conv_303525.jpg
    conv_303525.jpg
    183.2 KB · Views: 75
  • conv_303526.jpg
    conv_303526.jpg
    321.4 KB · Views: 106
Thanks--I am hoping to get a better survival rate this time around. These cuttles have been the most challenging project I have taken on in a long time, and it has only made me more determined to do what it takes to succeed with these guys.
My "main" hobby is breeding/raising rare reptiles, but nothing else intrigues me like these cuttles do. I think I have been in need of a good challenge for a while...:smile:

So far, 3 babies out and at least 5-6 more visible in the eggs. Some of the smaller eggs are starting to inflate, so hopefully some of those will turn out to be viable. This batch seems to be at an earlier state of development than the other eggs I have received. The previous eggs have all hatched the day of arrival or the day after, and here we are on day 3 with only a few babies out. It will be interesting to see if this has an effect on the survival rate of the babies. I would guess that the earlier in development that they go through the shipping/acclimating process, the less stressful this would be on the babies. But we will see...
More pics--

Attachments

• conv_293834.jpg
    conv_293834.jpg
    345.4 KB · Views: 87
  • conv_293835.jpg
    conv_293835.jpg
    595.5 KB · Views: 62
  • conv_293836.jpg
    conv_293836.jpg
    323.4 KB · Views: 91
Very cool Kelly!! I have 5 babies as of this morning :smile: What camera are you using?

Edit: I wanted to tell you that the eggs you get from me are direct from the divers. So they dont sit around anywhere in transit, this might be the reason for them looking "Earlier"

Thanks, sedna!

Tracy, that is cool to hear about the eggs coming direct from the divers. Hopefully this will help the babies be less stressed since they are shipped earlier in development, and also pass through fewer hands to get here.
I am just using a canon powershot sd1100. Pretty basic little camera, but I get some decent shots from time to time :cool2:
Also, if you don't mind sharing any details of your setup/techinique for raising the babies, that would be much appreciated. Sounds like you have a very high success rate with these little guys, and I really want to do well with them too.

Now there are 4 babies out as of this morning. All seem to be active and doing well. There are still several more babies visible in the eggs that are close to hatching as well:smile:

Well, so far so good...caught the little guys hunting yesterday--it is the first time I have seen them go after food. I know they have been eating for at least a week, but now they are getting less shy about it. I keep live mysids available to them all the time, and they are slowly but steadily disappearing. There were also a few amphipods in there, and the babies go nuts over them. I have noticed this with each batch of baby cuttles--their hunting response is a lot stronger for amphipods, even though the pods are a little harder for them to catch. Yesterday morning they were still stalking pods even after the lights came on. It is the most active I have seen baby cuttles that young. So I take that as a good sign...:smile:

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back